Diaherria

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Flaro1522
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just purchased a Dutch Shepherd puppy and named him Murphy. He is 6 months old. I am formerly the owner of an Australian Shepherd. I live in the Chicagoland area. I am a high school teacher and coach.

Diaherria

Post by Flaro1522 »

Hi

I have posted about this topic once before, so sorry if you’ve read about this topic before from me. My Dutchie, Murphy, has never not had diaherria. He is now 18 months. Since I got him at 12 weeks old from the breeder he had it and after multiple...and I mean multiple trips to the vet about it, he still does. His health has never seemed effected by it, as he is almost 80 lbs. But about once every couple of months for a 3 day period, his butt sounds like an almost empty keg. For the rest of the time, his BM consistency is like mashed potatoes. He has accidents in the house once in a blue moon cause he can’t control it...but even on good days, we have mashed potatoes. The vet has checked him for EPI and it came back negative. I have spent a ton of money trying to figure this out. I have tried different foods, raw diet, grain free, supplements, Imodium at vets request, antibiotics, even prescription diet. I’m very frustrated and just long for the day I don’t have to scrape poop off the sidewalk. He does not have great nerves...not sure if that could be a factor. If anyone has seen this or has some advice, please let me know. He is an awesome dog but this is driving me nuts and it is embarrassing when he does it on walks and frustrating when he paints the walls in his crate.

Sorry so descriptive, just trying to be as truthful in my descriptions as possible.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Diaherria

Post by borellar15 »

So that could be a number of things. If he been tested for intestinal parasites and that is not the case, be sure to kee his diet Consistent. If you find something that agrees with his stomach give him that and only that. Make sure he’s not allergic to chicken. If it’s chicken based food he may have allergies to chicken. Otherwise make sure everything is pretty regular. These dogs are susceptible to stress. Anything from putting their crate in a different spot, to change in activity or diet etc. you could also try the FirmUp dried pumpkin supplement. I personally like the firm up. Zoey has a very sensitive stomach and the firm up really does work. Just give a tsp every time you notice a lose stool and it seems to do the trick. Mix 1psrt with 1 part water. I’ve posted about this in the medical section.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Diaherria

Post by Mark77 »

I agree, chicken fat most likely is the culprit. It's very hard to find dog foods without it. I switched to Fromm because some of the adult dry foods don't have any chicken fat.