December is DIY Month

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

December is DIY Month

Post by centrop67 »

DIY is Do It Yourself.

I am declaring December as DIY month for the Dutch Shepherd Forum.

I am looking for ingenious, practical, or not so ingenious ideas.

Did you build your own crate? Did you make your own treat recipe? Did you create or tweak a training method or dog trick?

Fails are welcome too, because we can all learn from mistakes.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: December is DIY Month

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:DSlove: :DSlove: :DSlove: I just want to say I am in love with the new photo
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I accept that DIY month isn't a hit, but someone's at least got a homemade treat recipe, right?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

It’s not a bad idea man! Kim has been trying to get me to build our on rustic dog beds but the weather has not been good for it. Mayyyyyybe I’ll get around to it before I go back to work this week.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Ok - I will start..... I need to teach ICE to run blinds and the learning is so much faster and easier for him without the excitement of the decoy. So I built blinds. They are smaller - only about 5' tall but they serve the purpose.....
blinds.jpg
blinds.jpg (330.4 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
Patty and Ice
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I'm sorry man. Life had been hectic here. I barely have time to walk the dogs now.
•Right now in making a new long line with some light weight accessory cord from REI. I'm going to order a new Kong from from Amazon today for the attachment. I'll post pics later on.
•i have a ground venison baked treat recipe that's easy.
1lb ground venison
Enough whole wheat flour to hold it together
About a cup of grated carrot
Spread it out on a cookie sheet and roll it to about
¼"thick with a rolling pin. Bake at 350°until firm
If I think of anything more, I'll update the post 🙄
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

ICE wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm Ok - I will start..... I need to teach ICE to run blinds and the learning is so much faster and easier for him without the excitement of the decoy. So I built blinds. They are smaller - only about 5' tall but they serve the purpose.....
blinds.jpg
Nice work!
Image Image
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Over on the Facebook page, I got a DM asking if I had any ideas about an indestructible crate. Lucky for me that's not something I have to worry about, but I started thinking about it. I've always wanted to have something that looks a little nicer than the wire crates that are sitting in my living room.

I came across this video searching for a DIY crate. It's a little smnaller than I'd need, but that's just a scaling issue as far as I'm concerned.

One thing I like about this vide is the guy made a little mistake in his demonstration, but rather than edit it out, he continued on how to solve the problem.

Michael
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

I love the looks of that, however, I know I wouldn’t put Zoey in it because I’d bed afraid she would try to bite and pull at the rebar cause she has separation anxiety when left in the crate. If she started biting at that rebar she’d chip her teeth even more than she did already a little bit when she was in a wire crate.
Image Image