It's Fireworks Time :-(

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

It's Fireworks Time :-(

Post by centrop67 »

:soap:

I expect the uncontrolled chaos of fireworks to begin tonight, and as I anticipate the sheer Hell that Radar and Leela will go through, I can't help but think that I am not the only one.
  • We crank the TV sound up to try to drown out the booms.
  • We have prescription sedatives for the dogs from our Vet.
  • We place covers over the crates, so they can try to hide.
  • None of these acts are fully effective.
This year, it will probably be 4 straight days of this :eew:

I no longer enjoy New Year's Eve or the fourth of July. I do my best to comfort my family - it's never enough.

I don't want to spoil everyone's fun, and I don't want to be a cranky old bastard.

BUT...

I can't help it when my family suffers. It bothers me most that in most places (including where I live) this is illegal activity that NEVER gets enforced. I don't smoke pot, but I wish we treated it with as much indifference.

Also, those mortar fireworks are expensive. Imagine half or most of that $$$ going to support a charity, to a much needed trainer, or saved for a rainy day or an adventure? That beats 2 seconds of boom doesn't it?

Rant over.

I wish every one a Happy New Year. Be safe.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: It's Fireworks Time :-(

Post by Dutchringgirl »

right, crap, Sadie will be quivering behind my bed. I feel the same Michael.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I saw some ear muffs for dogs. Maybe you could try those?
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

borellar15 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 pm I saw some ear muffs for dogs.
Hmmm. -> https://smile.amazon.com/Mutt-Muffs-DDR ... B002CZQ1TA

There's no time to get these for the next few days, but I might look into something like this.

I am just wondering what effect it will have on them to have one of their main senses blocked?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Just read the product description after the previous post:
They will not eliminate sound. Mutt Muffs are not designed to cure thunderstorm phobia. Most dogs know a storm is coming long before there is any thunder. Their anxiety quite often is not related to sound. Mutt Muffs are designed to prevent hearing damage.
Michael
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Hmm. Yea So they’re not noise cancelling but they certainly have to reduce sound a little. But yea question is whether it’s the random popping or the intensity and loudness of the fireworks that your dogs don’t like.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had the thundershirt for Sadie but the problem was, when she saw the shirt she knew something was up and got worried anyway
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

We have the thunder shirt for Leela. It helps a little during thunder storms, but not fireworks.
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I use mutt-muffs on the range. They learn pretty quick that they're helpful and leave them alone.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

It's a New Year's Eve weekend miracle :sinterklaas:

No fireworks last night :shock:

I hope everyone saves them for Monday night. Preparation is key in reducing the anxiety, and I really don't want to sedate the dogs every night if I can help it.
Michael