Looking for suggestions please

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Chelle276
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 7 month old Dutch shepherd and would love to be able to see what other Dutch puppies are doing and ask some questions. I live in Sydney Australia

Looking for suggestions please

Post by Chelle276 »

Morning Everyone
thank you letting me join. I have a 7month old DS named Benson who has decided to recently jump up and take clothing off the clothes line and also bark constantly through the night. We have tried endless toys to entertain him during the day/night and we are also leaving the back light on for him to hopefully stop the barking. He was sleeping inside for the first 5months however prefers to be outdoors at night
He is played with constantly through the day, goes for minimum 5-7km runs daily. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
Benson
Benson
D6916E9A-D96F-4DC9-8E59-300023D6AC9C.jpeg (924.84 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Looking for suggestions please

Post by Dutchringgirl »

keep him on a leash during the day so when you go around the clothes line, you can keep him from jumping. as far as the barking, does he go out before bed? make sure no water after 7pm and take him out before going to bed
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Hmm idk yea keeping him on a leash might help as Lisa said. One that doesn’t have the length to reach the clothes or maybe move the clothes line. As for the barking he may be barking at thing moving around outside. Mice or squirrels or who knows. Maybe try keeping him inside.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh, I missed that he is outdoors at night. well, he is really not doing anything wrong. He is a protection dog and he is barking to protect you. Keep him inside at night.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Based on the description you need to do a couple of things...

First, it sounds like he needs to bond with you, so he doesn't want to be outside by himself at night. You need to become his world, and Lisa's suggestion of having him on a leash all the time might do the trick. All that exercise is great, but he needs to have his mind stimulated. Short, fun games and intermittent obedience training (combinations thereof) are recommended a few times a day.

If he's outdoors all night, he's going to find things to bark at. This is instinctive, and not likely to change.

Second, he needs to learn, and have reinforced, the Leave-It command. Ideally, you should seek help from a trainer for this, but there's some good videos online for this training. You could even use some old towels on the clothes line to reinforce this specifically for your problem.

This is a common response here on the forum, but you need the help of a knowledgeable working-dog trainer. Not to train your dog, but to train you. It's difficult for us to be aware of all the circumstances, so we can only give generalized help.

BTW - you have a very handsome dog.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

He’s probably lonely outside alone. Rogue loves being outside, but prefers being right beside me or where she can see me.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG