DS and growing family

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
interferon
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Been around dogs all my life, mixes to wolves. Looking for information about the DS breed from owners.

DS and growing family

Post by interferon »

Hello everyone,

I am new to DS. I have had dogs all my life and I need some help with DS information. To keep it simple, I thought I would list what I need in a dog and you could help me determine if it would be a good fit.

1. Needs to be a good guard dog (well established with DS, but listing it as criteria)
2. Needs to be good around children
3. Needs to have a desire to learn, train, please
4. Energetic, (I need a running/biking/conditioning buddy)
5. Loyal to the family
6. Lower health problems than most breeds (just got done paying massive surgery bills for my last dog)

To help with concerns, I was raised around Rottweilers trained for protection. They could be extremely aggressive with strangers if needed, but the gentlest beings with us kids. I have been around and trained other shepherds (Australian and German), APBT, and one of my most proud accomplishments with dogs was earning the trust of a pair rescued wolves (who were very untrusting of humans) while I was stationed in Ft. Sill, OK.

If you think the DS is a good fit for us, would you mind sharing breeder recommendations in the SE? I am currently looking at MossK9's, Aachen, and Alpha K9 Kennels.

Thanks!
Dan from North Florida
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: DS and growing family

Post by Mark77 »

If you want a hard dog look at Land of Oz K9.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Have you looked into the rescue? They might have a great dog.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TBO and IMO, if you have children, I would go to a reputable breeder. Especially if this is your first DS. I got Sadie from NADSR, and I have no regrets, but if sadie was my first DS, I would have many. Since I had many years of Ring sport training with a wonderful, champion bred DS, I was sure I could handle another DS. Sadie is wonderful but in the wrong hands... it would have ended badly.

Why a DS and not another Rottweiler? I had a Rottweiler and she was so wonderful. Great protection and great with kids is a perfect match.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Yea just know that the energetic side also comes with a price 😉. They don’t usually come with an “off button”

This is an everyday routine when she’s had enough of our morning waking up / lounging around time. It’s time to play something....anything but get off your ass dad!!
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Personalities range from very social to very unsocial. Pups also have varying temperaments within litters and within strains. Make sure you know what your getting by having the breeder know what you are getting.
Tim
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

My input is to be extremely cautious and smart with training the kid with the dogs and the dogs with the kids.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

There is a very strong prey drive in these dogs that's far beyond anything I've even seen in Rottweilers. So I'll second Lisa's advice and recommend going to a very knowledgeable breeder to set you with the best fit.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Brindle Lake Dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: This is my first Dutchie. I’ve trained field trial labs and a Malinois in IPO. Lost my Mal to cancer at age 11 and wasn’t really looking for a pup yet.
I got a call from my old training director letting me know he had just the pup for me: A Dutchie...
It just sort of happened and now I have a brindle Fur Missile living with me. His name is Jaguar; Jag for short.

Post by Brindle Lake Dog »

borellar15 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm Yea just know that the energetic side also comes with a price 😉. They don’t usually come with an “off button”

This is an everyday routine when she’s had enough of our morning waking up / lounging around time. It’s time to play something....anything but get off your ass dad!!
:lmao: that is JUST LIKE Jaguar!!!! He keeps me “honest” and doesn’t allow me to be lazy. :g_wink: