Intuitive?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Intuitive?

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble and my son just clicked from the beginning. Soon after we got her she started to alert to his migraines. But beyond that she seems to understand on some level that she has to be different with him. When she and I play tug or even fetch, she's all mock teeth and real pulls. When she plays with him, she holds the rope carefully and lays it back in his hand if he drops it. She also let's him take balls from her while she releases carefully. He hits at her, which is his attempt at play. She doesn't seem to take his motions as aggression but nudges him in return until he laughs. (Not a good habit, but he won't get near others dogs. I don't have to worry he'll try it with another dog.)

This morning, she didn't want to go out. When I went to their room to let her out, she went back to his side, until I commanded her out the second time. Turned out he already had a migraine and she spent most of the day at his side.

I know Puli dogs are supposed to be very intuitive and cairn terriers seem to be too. Is your DS intuitive? Is this a breed trait or just a dog personality.

(I tend to think the migraine sense is smell related though I know that hasn't been proven. She seems to know even when she isn't in line of sight.)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Intuitive?

Post by Tim91118 »

Seems like you couldn’t have found a better dog for your son no matter what.
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

All animals are intuitive. I Had horses who were better around kids and would put their heads down when a tiny kid would lead them. It depends on how they want to use it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

She's really the first of our dogs to "get" my son. The terrier mix considers my son "his human" but doesn't make the allowances to relate to him. My Dal just kind of tolerated him. She'd check on him during her patrols, and allow petting, but could take or leave. The boxer/lab liked getting petted, hard and wouldn't move when my son was upset, but still it was take it or leave it. Bram just REALLY get him. Between taking an available treat from me or waiting while we coordinate me getting him in position, handing over the treat then him messing around with the treat before giving it to her, she wants the treat from him. And obeys him without reward or correction....so frustrating!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Just like humans, we all are intuitive it is just if we want to, and how open we are to being intuitive.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

True.