How to spot the toxic algae that's killing dogs in the Southeast

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: How to spot the toxic algae that's killing dogs in the Southeast

Post by Dutchringgirl »

this is crazy!! WE have some up here in ct, and they close some parks. Im not taking my girls swimming now just to be safe.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I think the algae blooms are caused by farmers chemicals. I know that there is a huge dead zone in the gulf of mexico caused by this. I don't take my dogs near water, I used to and I have really nice large lakes within half an hour either direction along with smaller lakes in some parks nearby but it's not worth it. A few years ago I used to take the dogs canoeing down one of the side rivers because they loved to swim but not anymore, not since reading about all these dogs dying from that algae. Algae isn't the only think you have to worry about when it gets hot out. A couple years back I took them swimming in one of the rivers and all three ended up with giardia, just endless diarrhea for days and spent a ton of money getting that cleaned out of their system.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

There is a lake by me that they close every year. Im sure chemicals have something to do with it but the lake does not get much sun and sun also may help, not sure. But no more water play for me this year. Usually early summer seems to be fine, then we get the warnings mid way through when it gets hot.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage