Flying with a Puppy

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
MaineG1rl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an active person. I love to hike, run, cross country ski, and other activities. I was born in Maine and live in a smallish town. I have never own a DS before, so I have some questions that I haven't been about to find online. I put a down payment on a Long Haired DS puppy that is going to be born next summer.

Flying with a Puppy

Post by MaineG1rl »

Has anyone ever flown with a DS puppy before in the cabin before? Is there an international airline that anyone suggest I use? Flexible carrier that would fit into a carry-on? I've been researching multiple airline and the age requirement differs a lot (from 10 weeks to 16 weeks). My biggest fear is that the pup won't be able to fly with me. I'm looking to get a female but I'd also be happy with a male. I'm very nervous about putting the pup in the cargo hold. I'm going to be flying from Charles De Gualle in Paris, France back to Logan Airport in MA. I won't be flying there with the pup but I will be on my way back.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Flying with a Puppy

Post by Tim91118 »

Check airplane dog carriers. They make them but a 16 week old pup would be far too big for the cabin. Seems like 8 wks should be allowable. The cargo hold will be ok for the pup. They could throw a cover over the crate and the pup would have a good long nap.
Tim
MaineG1rl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am an active person. I love to hike, run, cross country ski, and other activities. I was born in Maine and live in a smallish town. I have never own a DS before, so I have some questions that I haven't been about to find online. I put a down payment on a Long Haired DS puppy that is going to be born next summer.

Post by MaineG1rl »

I have looked at multiple International Airline's Pet Policy. For example, Air France will allow dogs in the cabin at 10 weeks old if they fit into a carrier that is 18'inx11inX9in and weighting less or equal to 17lbs. I just don't know how big a 10 week old DS is.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

My pup was about 15 pounds at that time. At 10 wks you should make weight
Tim
JonMoen
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Experienced trainer with 2 year old, male KNPV X-Mal.

Post by JonMoen »

It's the height more than the weight that is the issue. The average 10 week old DS puppy is about 14"-16" tall; too tall to be able to stand up in a crate under the seat in front of you. By the time you line up the required vet visit and flight, the pup is likely to be closer to 11 weeks old and even bigger.

Importing a pup is not a fun experience for you or the pup. It involves a lot of paperwork and hassle. You also aren't able to select your puppy or meet the parent dogs like you would with a domestic breeder.