Up the leash

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Up the leash

Post by ladyjubilee »

So, it turns out one of my relatives donates dogs to police departments in his area. When my mom told him about Bramble he cautioned that Dutch Shepherds are supposedly "known" for going "up the leash", which I interpret to mean turn on the person at the other end. He was concerned that Bramble could turn on one of us.

Now I don't believe that would or could ever happen. She's a sweetheart and is better able to read his moods than I am. Plus shes very submissive. She won't even really play tug with him as she just hands him the toy.

But I'm not sure how to address the concern logically because my relative would definitely know more than me about the breed. And I assume the dogs he knows come from very respected breeders and trainers.

So is it true? And exactly what does the phrase mean? What would cause a well trained, solid temperament dog do to so?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Up the leash

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes they will go up the leash, but just like any dog that does something aggressive, they have a reason, they wont do something aggressive without a reason or warning.

Going up the leash is the dog telling you that you did something they did not like. Its hard to explain so you get the idea that she wont do it out of the blue.

If you push them and they dont understand the command and it is a forceful command, for example.

My Thalie used to do this but we trained Ring SPort. So in the midst of a training session if she was doing the exercise, and I made a correction that was either too strong or bad timing or something, she would turn and nip my hand to tell me that she had it under control and I should trust her.

Once these dogs know something, they will do it on their own. they don't like to be nagged and reminded.

So, she wont just turn, they never JUST do something. Its all about reading them and understanding what the dog is saying. If you ignore the warnings , then they will eventually go up the leash.

When you hear stories of a dog biting a kid. The dog didnt JUST do it, there were tons of warnings from the dog but they all thought it was cute that the kid was poking the dog and no one was respecting the dog, the dog would give a stern look, that would be ignored, the dog would lift the lips, ignored, growl, " oh look the dog is growling, how cute" next comes the bite.

I hope I am explaining this well, its a grey area of training that you need to work with. But I really dont think you have to worry about this, your training is not intense enough to get to a point like that. Plus she is a mix
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble isn't dominant in any way. She's very submissive , and though she has to live with the stress and unpredictability of autism, we don't demand a lot from her.

I really don't believe this will be a problem for us.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Tarheel canine has all very good information
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

One of my favorite dog memes:

Aggressive dog breeds ranked:

14. You
13. can't
12. rank
11. them,
10. because
09. aggression
08. isn't
07. breed
06. specific.
05. It's
04. a
03. learned
02. behavior.
01. Chihuahuas

The first week I had Radar, he was having a reactive episode with another dog on a walk. As I was pulling the leash to go the other way, he turned around and bit me on my thigh. Luckily, it was just a big bruise and it didn't break the skin.

I didn't blame him or punish him, and though there's been similar situations where I can tell he's not happy with me, it hasn't happened again. I have to totally agree with Lisa, that they won't do it without reason or warning. Whether I've become more cognizant to the warnings or he's got less reason to, I don't know.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ladyjubilee wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 pm Bramble isn't dominant in any way. She's very submissive , and though she has to live with the stress and unpredictability of autism, we don't demand a lot from her.

I really don't believe this will be a problem for us.
Its not a dominant/ submissive thing, its not what you demand of them either, its just them. IF they dont like a correction you did, thats how they let you know.

I would not worry though about her going up the leash. Even if she did, its not like she will rip your hand off. The most Thalie would do is nip my hand to tell me she knows what she is doing.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I just watched some of the video. He is handling the situations very well. But going up the leash from a fear/ aggression like those dogs is different from going up the leash while training. When in training, a dog goes up the leash because you did a correction Incorrectly, timing or improper. Just because a dog goes up the leash, does in no way mean they have any aggression. The dogs in the video have aggression issues from something in their life. One may not have anything to do with the other.
ImageImage
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

SEL wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:23 pm K9-1's info on this and the videos on aggression rehab.
OK for most dogs that will kinda work, eventually. If Rocket is atypical for duchies I have a difficult time seeing that work.
There is one thing I didn't see. Zero transition. They just buried it. I guess the farther you bury it the less likely it will surface.
Transitioning means, to me anyways, mixing the field of inducing that unwanted behaviour so that reaction is conciously decided upon and controlled by the dog that you have established as unexceptable behaviour. Nothing to be mad about.
Every dog I have worked with above all wanted acceptance. Bad behaviour, not acceptable. Once they get that, they choose the behaviour. Kinda like the difference of ignoring a problem verses dealing with it. The food thing? I mean just let the dog bite the glove? How about someone in there fast enough to make a fist so he can't get a grip and remove the food for 15min. Sheesh.
And not a single "nada", "no", "wrong", "phhhht" or whatever to actually indicate NOT ACCEPTABLE. Poor dog. Everything is "good boy" or dead air. Doesn't even know if he's doing something wrong. And before I get blazed again on my view, "wrong" doesn't mean "a scolding."
For me this usually takes two days about 2 hours per meal. With Mr. Bitey aka Rocket it took two weeks.
But what do I know.
Oh gota go. Rocket is telling me there are birds in the the back yard. Not a cat, dog or people. Its a bird or birds.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:46 pm dog memes:
01. Chihuahuas
:D Me too SEL.
Still grinnin on that one.