Great Compliment/Training Payoff

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Great Compliment/Training Payoff

Post by ladyjubilee »

The trainer invited us to a dog event yesterday because he would be there if I needed backup and there would be dogs. Turned out it was a much bigger event than either of expected and wall to wall dogs. But we didn't need the backup.

Bramble did great, just some minor corrections, and managed to even hold a down stay with dogs all around for about 10 minutes. She did growl 2 times, but responded to easy correction.

She walked her loose "with me", which I am finding to more useful than a true heel.

Then a lady who clearly knows training complimented me on Bramble's behavior and said Bramble was the best behaved dog she'd seen out that day and that the time we spent training shows. She was even explaining to people at a near booth what the loose leash meant and how it took a lot of training to get a Dutch Shepherd to walk so calmly with so many distractions.

I was so proud. All the times I almost gave up and really thought I absolutely couldn't do this to now we we have a well behaved dog ready for service task training.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Great Compliment/Training Payoff

Post by Tim91118 »

Way to go
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

:wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Truthfully, if not for this forum I wouldn't have even known she needed K9 level training and really have been in a bad situation. But even then, if she were not alerting to migraines, I don't know if I would have kept pressing. She really is a handful. Sweet submissive handful :)
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Nice job!! You should be very proud.
Patty and Ice
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

It's a great feeling, isn't it!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

SEL wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:33 pm That's great, all your hard work is paying off for sure! I wish more people would train their dogs like that.
All our dogs behaved well like that...
And then came Rocket :ds:
:dschick: free food on the wing in yard
:muffy: plenty of people walking by
:DSangel: the perfect dog :(
Gota love him. :D Moments of pure brilliance and affection.
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

ladyjubilee wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:31 pm ...Bramble did great, just some minor corrections, and managed to even hold a down stay...
Kinda makes you feel like you've accomplished something doesn't it.
When people wisper those words, "thats what a real service dog is like" to their friends, you want to give em an ice cream cone.
:DSorange:
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

How old is Rocket?

Bramble was just like that with dogs. But people, well every human is a possible tummy scratcher or ball thrower. We've really made progress in the dog front , but still working on the people problem. Those darn people are just so wonderfully distracting for her.