German Shepherd can't stop scratching or licking paws

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Visheinga
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Gabriel from New York. I'm marketer.
I have 9 year old dutch shepherd boy, we enjoy traveling and walking.

German Shepherd can't stop scratching or licking paws

Post by Visheinga »

My 9 year old German Shepherd can't stop scratching her body which has resulted in sore armpits and underbelly.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the skin having a closer look so there are not any fleas or mites (vet did a skin scrape test). Sudocrem only helps for a small period of time

She also can't stop licking her paws which has made them very red and sore. The vet gave us some cortavance spray and fuciderm gel but that doesn't seem to be working, or putting piriton in her breakfast and dinner. We've tried bathing them in tepid salt water as well but that hasn't really helped either.

Has anyone had this sort of thing with German Shepherds before and offer some remedies?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: German Shepherd can't stop scratching or licking paws

Post by centrop67 »

This can be a symptom of food or environmental allergies. Get the allergy test and follow the recommendation of your vet.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

In addition to possible food/environmental allergies it could also be a immune system issue. Did it just start? I had a GSD that had similar issues (she has since passed at 15 years old). I used medicated shampoo on her feet daily (yes PIA but you gotta do it) I also made foot coverings (toddler socks with Velcro to keep them on) so she couldn't lick them and allowed healing. She had to be on prednisone at a low dose for the last 5 years of her life to keep the itching under control.
Patty and Ice
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Could have an allergy to grains, maybe try one of those grain free simple ingredient diets.