Training Excitment

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Training Excitment

Post by ladyjubilee »

We are moving into the task stage of training, which means more direct involvement on my son's part.

Last night, I explained to him that at training today, Bramble would learn to walk with him and not me. He was up at 3 am ready to go. He wasn't even interested in breakfast.

He did great and so did she. She caught on really to the command to go to him and had that really proud body language on the command to sit beside him.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Training Excitment

Post by Tim91118 »

Things seem to be going well.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

They are. We finally seek to be making progress and their relationship is growing all the time.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Well, this must be our week. My son had a doctor appointment today, at a facility visited by a lot of service dogs. I had to pick him up at school, the first time she has gone to school. The teachers and staff were amazed that my son was able to walk her holding the leash and to some extent directing her (they didn't think he'd have even been able to hold the leash).

Then at the doctor's we received a number of compliments on her training level while in the waiting room. One of the professionals was surprised Bramble is still a "service dog in training" as "she is really well trained to be a service dog"......and this was really a challenge for Bramble. All those potential petters, and kids to greet. Being invisible is hard for her, but other than one whine, she held it together :)

At times I had lost hope. The time working basics is really paying off.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

This is really awesome.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Time spent training well always pays off!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

That is great!!
Patty and Ice
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I’m glad to read that it’s working out well.
I see in my Dutchie that she loves to learn. She’s always ready to go. I bet the same is true for your Dutch. I’m very happy to hear that your son is all in. At least for now. I’m willing to bet it will continue. I bet it feels good for him too. This is a wonderful report from you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG