2020 State of the Dutch Shepherd Forum

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

2020 State of the Dutch Shepherd Forum

Post by centrop67 »

Actually, the site isn't as active as I would have hoped by this point in my administration, but I am okay with that. It's impossible to compete with other social media outlets, but I feel like the information available on this site is heads and shoulders above what's available anywhere else.

BTW - the Facebook page for this site hit 4000 likes this week. :wtg:

We have a small core of active members who I love hearing form on a regular basis. And, we do have lots of folks signing up, so I am optimistic that we will continue and perhaps grow.

At my job we have regular performance reviews, but they generally go top-down. I like to add the opportunity to hear how my team views my performance by asking 3 questions.

So, I am going to do the same here:
1. What do you want me to keep doing? Why?
2. What do you want me to stop doing? Why?
3. What do you want me to start doing? Why?

Post your answers in this thread.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: 2020 State of the Dutch Shepherd Forum

Post by Tim91118 »

I started answering these questions and looked down and saw the thread “ 2017 State of the Dutch Shepherd Forum” I am also disappointed with the activity on this site, but many other good sites are inactive as well. Some new members make a post or two and say they look forward to being an active member never to be heard from again. There were a couple regular posters on here throughout the summer and they just dropped off the map. Wish I could do an evaluation. I really don’t think any of this is on you.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think in the broad level, it is the nature of forums, and every day life. Forums ebb and flow, and it's harder for people to post right before and after the holidays.

But specifically to the forum, I think it is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. People who either have working working dogs or are very advanced in training, aren't going to get much from posters like me, and may well see posts like mine boring or out right stupid.... but then people like me get lost in the weeds on more advanced topics.

Some posters are able to thread that boundary, but that puts a lot on certain posters. But ultimately, I those kind of problems are inherent.

I do think the board topic could be modified a little to encourage posting. For instance, I don't really understand the difference between "education and training" and obedience. If I have a training heel question where do I post? If I'm looking for a recommendation on what kind of training/sport, is that protection sports, education or whatever? Is Behavior where I post if I have a behavior problem to address or is that "education" since some form of training would be involved?

I think refining headings, to reflect the varying level of interest might help.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

:eek: ok. I’m that one who dropped off in Sept. I’m an ass, but I do love this forum. Not cheating on you. Pinky Swear.
No excuses. No lies. I apologize for not doing my part.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I want you to keep administering this site. It’s the best one that I know of and you act like you care about each of us.
I want you to stop comparing us to other sites. We don’t need everybody. The Navy Seals are an elite few and so are we.
I want you to start ....can’t think of anything. I’ll get back to this one later.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Well, as part of my thought above, I had thought the forum does need posters like Joxgirl who cross the divide between "pet" Dutch Shepherd owners and "K9 handlers". Kind of Rosetta stones between the two.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Seems to be picking up again of late. Jay