During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Post by centrop67 »

I don't believe it's possible to transmit (or contract) the virus in this community, so I am encouraging a little extra communication here for several days.

You pick the topic - DS or not.

Do you have enough TP? :lol:

How does your DS feel about all this? :roll:

Pictures are encouraged. :wtg:

Stay safe everyone!

:DSangel:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Re: During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Post by Jay knowles »

We had to have our old bull terrier put to sleep this week at 16 years old which is a really good age. Pepsi is really behaving quite strangely which I hope will pass. Very upsetting losing a dog after so many years. Will post a few pics of them together later. Jay
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

A very recent picture, they secretly got on quite well . Jay
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Wow Jay. Really sorry for your loss.

I am sure Pepsi will come around. Maybe a little extra play time will be good for both of you.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 pm Wow Jay. Really sorry for your loss.

I am sure Pepsi will come around. Maybe a little extra play time will be good for both of you.
Thanks myself and wife will be fine we knew it was time to let her go. Ruby had been struggling for a while but since the weekend she really went down hill.
Pepsi is very independent and generally doesn’t spend much time with us in the evenings where as Ruby layed on my wife’s lap every night for her entire life.
So a new chapter starts in Pepsi’s life to start to integrate with the family more, time will tell. Jay
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

She was a nice one
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

That is the hard part of having older dogs. Peanuts' time is coming and I let my mom know I can't be the one to take him this time.

I'm sorry to hear about Ruby.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Today was Bramble's first hospital visit. She did great....even though we had to park on the opposite side from where we needed to be and had to cut through the hospital.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Jay knowles wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:23 pm We had to have our old bull terrier put to sleep this week at 16 years old which is a really good age. Pepsi is really behaving quite strangely which I hope will pass. Very upsetting losing a dog after so many years. Will post a few pics of them together later. Jay
I had to put my older Shepherd, Aurora down just before Christmas. Endeavor acted a little weird for a couple days. She's a little more focused on me now. Not that she played much with Aurora for the past year.
It'll get better man. Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

The UK is going a bit mad with all this. My wife happens to own a contract cleaning company so we have all the toilet rolls and hand jell you could ever wish for. In the UK people are going mad for all this type of stuff which I don’t really understand. Still walking Pepsi every day, she’s like a Covid-19 repellant, no one comes anywhere near us. Jay
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

For some reason when we just take Bramble out, people avoid her. They will ask about her, but not reach out and touch.....until she has her service dog gear on. Then suddenly everyone wants to pet her. So strange.

Sel, I can't speak from a dog perspective, but have experienced something similar with children. I hate to say it, but I think it comes from hypervigilance. When someone, or in this case some dog, experiences neglect and abuse, the entire world is threatening and unpredictable, and you are part of that world. Neglect and abuse set cause and effect off kilter, which makes it hard to know who or what causes pain. When my son first came to me, we were out and it started raining. He got so mad at me he clawed my contacts out. He really thought I was then one getting him wet....and I've had other kids get really upset with me when they trip or get a normal bump. Plus, now you are Lazlo's rock, his rescuer, his, well, god, of course you control everything.

Children and I suspect animals that have experienced neglect and abuse often don't even realize when they experience pain, frankly (terribly) because they get used to it. Could be that Lazlo is hurting consistently and you just can't see it.

We had to cancel my son's birthday party. It wouldn't have been a huge gathering, but almost all of the kids have underlying medical conditions. He is going to be bummed when he realizes he didn't get his Godzilla party.

We do private training, but I would think a small class, especially outside would be fine with proper precautions. After all, it's not like handlers and dogs get that close to each other anyway.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

We had to make the decision about Peanuts today. He started crying in his sleep last night which was the first time he appeared to be in pain. We've been seeing s steady decline, and decided now was the time, before a crisis. I think it was the right decision. I waited to long with Gotcha and she suffered because I just didn't want to let her go.

As far as what I say, I tell Bramble leave it, and say she is working....or cave. It depends on how my son is doing. If he's having a moment or could escalate, I just go with it.

At least with kids, the only way to get past hypervigilance is be consistent and have clear boundaries. Bring order to chaos. Isn't a magic fix, but does help.my guess is it would help a dog too.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

So sorry you had to make that choice. Man... Seems like a strange time for us all these past few months.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 am We had to make the decision about Peanuts today.
Sorry for your loss.
:DSangel:
Michael
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

SEL wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 pm
ladyjubilee wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 am We had to make the decision about Peanuts today.
sorry far you’re loss I know how you feel. Jay
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Thank you.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

SEL wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 pm The next scent work class starts towards end of March and I'm debating going.
Have you considered online classes? I am not much of an online learner but I just took the nose work class at Fenzi Academy and it worked very well for us. I think if you have training background its a good option.
Patty and Ice
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

So sorry for your loss. :-(
Patty and Ice
ICE
Training Dog

Post by ICE »

Thanks, I'll check that one out! I have looked at scentworkuniversity.com, but not Fenzi. I think the online classes are a good option for right now.
[/quote]

For the nosework classes they have a teachers assistant in a facebook group. That allows you to get video review and answered questions with taking a bronze level class. I personally feel like the silver or gold spots are way over priced but bronze is very affordable and the TA gets you extra help.
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

What do you do with nose work once the dog learns it?