Black Hole

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Black Hole

Post by ladyjubilee »

I completely understand how you feel. Buttons was my special dog. From the moment she spotted me at the shelter, I was her person. When she died, I had that hole in my heart and searched and searched for another Dalmatian. After months, 3 trips to another state.....one of which could have seen me arrested for kidnapping....and much drama finally brought Gotcha (hence the name). But I kind of failed Gotcha. She wasn't Buttons. Were Buttons viewed me as the best thing in the world, Gotcha was a dog's dog. She and Snuggles bonded to the point he only lived about a week after her (they both out lived their breeds life expectancy.

When Gotcha died, I wanted another dog. I thought I found a puppy, but couldn't have a pitbull. I instead this little stripped dog kept in the section with the aggressive dogs gave our whole family "the look"....and you know the road we've been on for our perfect dog, life changing dog who just happens to be part of the one breed we couldn't have.

My point is not to let the black hole suck you in. I know from experience that hole can be obsessive. But you can take action. I know you want Leela to meet the new dog..we packed up Snuggles and Peanuts and took them with us on our multi state trip to meet the Dal I was supposed to get when we met Gotcha the first time.

I know you are like me and think shelter first, but you are the ideal adopter for some of the breed specific rescues. You have experience and knowledge. For rescues that cannot place a true working dog in an inexperienced home, an adopter like you is perfect. I suspect you could even qualify to adopt from places like Warrior Dogs and the military.

But to get what you want you may have to either look in unexpected places (like the room with all the "aggressive dogs") or be willing to travel a bit (just don't forget to get court approval if it means taking your foster child beyond state lines ;).
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

She is gorgeous.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

There's only so many Dutchies to hit the rescue system a year. You have to be willing to travel and be ready to go. Put your name out there for the rescues and tell them what you are looking for. Get on the waiting lists.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

There's another in California named Justice that looks just like Freedom.

Travel is just not a good option right now. My wife and I took a trip 200 miles to Tampa last week to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. A trip that was supposed to be to Las Vegas in June to renew our vows. Instead, we went to our regular annual celebration to Berns Steakhouse. Look it up. It's an amazing dining experience.

We ended up smack-dab in the middle of the Stanley Cup celebration. Totally unexpected, and I don't care what side of the political aisle you're on, I can't get Covid. I have way too many of the this will kill you prerequisites.

I am at least on the NADSR list, but I will remain patient.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Just dont forget that some rescues will work with you. I know most here wouldn't have issues, but Dals are to place. When I sought a Dal (Gotcha), the rescue was willing to drive across state for a meet and greet because I was experienced with breed and not just enamoured by the lovely spots.

You are that perfect adopter that rescues desperately need. You know the breed, you have lived experience with the breed, resources for help, and frankly, aren't looking for a "tough dog" to make you tougher.

My suspicion is if you reach out to some of these rescues, they'd work with you.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

My application is in for MAD. This is my top choice: Mustang

Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Best of luck Mike
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Now that's a nice looking Dutchie. Perfect head on him to, line down the middle of skull, ears standing more straight up than to the side, nice mask. Notice also his ears are up when taking photos as they should which means he should prove to be a confident dog. He has a bit of Mal in him also which I can see. Get that dog.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

He is gorgeous and I think you have enough patience and experience to help him with socialization.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

** RESCUE UPDATE **

I am pleasantly surprised at the MAD rescue's pace of getting things done. My references have been checked including the vet reference, and it all looks positive.

Next step is for a home visit and then an interview to make sure we get the right dog.

I've noticed that the availability of volunteers for the home visit can delay the progress, but I am hopeful.

Fingers crossed.
Michael
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Any word yet? I hope it works out. Maybe show them this forum.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Virtual home visit is scheduled for tomorrow. So, hopefully soon.
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg: :wtg: :wtg:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Yay!!!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Facebook memories. Love em. Hate em.

This popped up today.

Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Yeah...I know...
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Oh, Radar looks so hopeful in that shot.

Maybe this is a sign Mustang is getting ready to come home too.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

:DSangel:
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

So...

Connection issues delayed my virtual home visit today.

But...

There's positive signs. The virtual visitor is a fan of the DS Forum Facebook page and has two Dutch Shepherds herself.

We're chatting casually, and she already thinks Mustang will be a good fit for us.

I am so excited it's killing me.

Fingers crossed.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Wow, I am so excited for you and Mustang. I imagine the rescue is excited to have interest from some with knowledge and experience with the breed.