Dog Emotional Needs

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Dog Emotional Needs

Post by ladyjubilee »

As a human foster parent I, unfortunately, experienced the different consequences between neglect and abuse (which isn't to say both can't occur.) But even though I know neglect causes the human brain to develop irregularly, I never considered the impact on dogs.

Many of our dogs had the physical signs of abuse, some quite severe (like Gotcha's neurological issues). Casper is the first dog who very obviously experienced neglect. He was over weight and really showed signs that he was kept in a (small) kennel all day. He was returned to the shelter twice before we got him. Frankly, Casper didn't even move like a dog, and was always seeking to escape. Everything was new to him

This is the first time we've had a dog that was obviously neglected. We are finally seeing his actual personality, and from from timid he is an outspoken little guy. He doesnt try to escape anymore (which was one of the "why"s he was returned to the shelter.). From be shocked and afraid of everything, he has shown intelligence and problem solving.

So those were my thoughts
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
KGJoepye
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Ohio with my new pup, Joe Pye!

Re: Dog Emotional Needs

Post by KGJoepye »

I just got my 9 month old DS mix from a shelter and he was neglected. We think he was mostly tied up outside since he gets nervous in the house a lot and will just want out for the sake of not being inside like you described. He had fleas so bad he was missing huge patches of fur, had multiple skin lesions/infections, had tapeworms and was just skin and bones.
It’s been crazy (sometimes actually legitimately scary lol) watching him go from a dog that took 10 minutes to be coaxed out of a kennel to a typical energetic and intelligent shepherd teenager.
He is still nervous about a lot of things, and some days are worse than others, but he’s learning how to be a dog and to trust us. Every day I wonder how a dog that’s neglected can still be so gentle and have so much love. They’re such resilient creatures!
Kori and Joe Pye (9 months) in Ohio
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

SEL-
As much as I hate to say it, and I don't at all agree with the notion, don't forget that what your said is projecting your own notion (and undoubtedly mine and most of the members of a working dog community) of what is good and fair for a dog. I only mean to say that some people honestly don't know better. I remember visiting people when I was a kid, and they kept their dogs chained up or so penned up outside. To those folk, dogs were equal to other livestock that needed to be kept secure to some degree. They would be used to herd now and then, and interacted with daily. But it was a different experience from even what I knew about dogs way back then. As I sit here today, my first though is that if in that same position today, I'd chastise those that kept their dogs tethered or penned up most of the day. But, after just a little thought, it strikes me that it's really no different than being left in a house all day. Maybe they're safer in the house... But tell that to my own dog that got on the stove a while back and I came home to find one of the knobs had been turned just short of the point where gas would be released. I digress. I suppose what I'm thinking about is, short of outright abuse (not counting neglect for sake of argument), I don't think it's fair to judge a dogs quality of life without careful consideration. The dogs I remember seeing in my youth were fine, happy dogs. Some were left to roam free, and those were the ones I remember the best. They were people dogs. The ones left to themselves more were farm dogs. Do we know better ways to raise, train, and care for our working dogs these days? Absolutely! But, let's be honest here. The way we interact with our dogs today is probably nothing like the situations that bore out our particular breed.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Obviously, what you wrote got me thinking out on a tangent. Neglect of health, physical and mental, is unacceptable
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

The dog like a human needs interaction and socialization. The more positive experiences they have while young, the less chances to end up with a problem later on. However that takes a responsible owner and someone willing to invest the time along with the effort to bring about the best in their dog. Training, socialization, introduction to new environments or scenarios is crucial in this development.
Last edited by Mark77 on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Has anyone watched the YouTube video from Upstate Canine Academy about the Mal that was kept chained to a trailer. Casper reminded me a lot of that dog (though Casper isn't DS.)
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

No, but I'll give it a look later on
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I think this is the video you are talking about:

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Yes, that is the one. Casper had that same level of anxiety. He has come a long way, but is still prone to shy away. Casper also had the odd gait of the dog in the video....that tension in the back end.

We started by following Bramble's cues. She treated him like a dog....not a terrified dog, just a dog. When he shied away, she followed him initiating what I as a human saw as rough play. Within days he would play with her for a few moments before hiding. My mom thought I was crazy to tug and be "rough" with him. But again. With days he was seeking out touch. We are just now starting obedience, though Casper is a champ at loose leash.

Again, I just never mage the neglect to physical result with dog.