Where is everybody?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Where is everybody?

Post by Tim91118 »

Does Zoey get a turn and does Henry just watch the action when it’s her turn ?
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

I was wondering that myself. I throw their kongs around the yard because kongs bounce irradically. It's complete chaos with all three going after it at the same time.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Tim91118 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:51 pm Does Zoey get a turn and does Henry just watch the action when it’s her turn ?
Haha yea idk if y’all noticed but I also have a tug in my hand for her. She’s more reluctant to “out” when he’s around so I get her to out and go for the tug as a reward and then I tug with her until Henry comes up and drops the ball at my feet. Then I throw Henry’s ball and then get Zoey to out the tug for the ball or bring me the tug in a retrieve and reward with the ball. It’s a process.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I used to have to have two frisbees for my lab. He wouldn't out the first one, and he was really stubborn on the out training. Eventually, he learned it, but two frisbees kept the game going at the beginning, and exercise is the key to a happy lab.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:48 pm I used to have to have two frisbees for my lab. He wouldn't out the first one, and he was really stubborn on the out training. Eventually, he learned it, but two frisbees kept the game going at the beginning, and exercise is the key to a happy lab.
Yup exactly. When she’s by herself she outs no problem but when Henry is around she thinks he’ll get it if she drops it so she just squeezes it and looks at me. But yea good ol 2 ball (or frisbee) will get it done.
Image Image
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I love that little guy's energy. But he shouldn't feel bad, most dogs wash out of service training. It's hard work.

Henry's obedience is spot on. Has he gone over the fence?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

I'm still impressed that your dogs aren't fighting eachother over the ball. I only bring one dog out at a time usually for that because honestly- I don't want to break up a fight. They are all super relaxed hanging out in the yard, enjoying the sun, bring out a ball- it's instant chaos.
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 pm I love that little guy's energy. But he shouldn't feel bad, most dogs wash out of service training. It's hard work.

Henry's obedience is spot on. Has he gone over the fence?
Haha no he has not gone over the fence and hopefully he never does.
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Mark77 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm I'm still impressed that your dogs aren't fighting eachother over the ball. I only bring one dog out at a time usually for that because honestly- I don't want to break up a fight. They are all super relaxed hanging out in the yard, enjoying the sun, bring out a ball- it's instant chaos.
While Henry is almost twice the size of Zoey she’s established her dominance long before he grew to be that big. Although they don’t fight over the ball if Henry has it he’ll kind of taunt her with and and she’ll like gnaw on his face but they don’t actually fight. Hell Yelp if it hurts but he still doesn’t go away he actually comes back for more. Strange. But they get along great and they love playing with each other in the backyard. Zoey will grab the biggest stick she can and chase Henry around the yard with it and he’ll try and get a piece of it if he can. It’s quite entertaining to watch.
Image Image
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

My older female is my dominant dog though both females seem to avoid my male and usually don't really interact with him. He's kind of pushed around by them in some ways but in others they just leave him alone.

Edited 11/30
So I decided to just add this here instead of starting a new thread- I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving.