My First DS Pup!

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Always_Ready
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have owned/trained a number of working line dogs. I'm a member of a DVG/IPO club in the USA. I've been researching Dutch shepherds for a while. I will be continuing gathering as much information about the breed as possible on.the forum.

My First DS Pup!

Post by Always_Ready »

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all having a great weekend so far! So I've been training with working line dogs for a while now. I've been researching DS's for about a year. I am planning on getting my new pup by the end of next year.

I'm currently in a DVG group and was looking to get a KNPV line dog to work with. I've narrowed down my choice to Logan Haus Kennels in WV. But before I put a deposit down, I wanted to see if anyone here has one of their pups, and how their experience has been. As well as if anyone had other breeder suggestions to look into?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/responses, they're greatly appreciated!
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: My First DS Pup!

Post by Tim91118 »

I’m sure you’ve done your research on Logan Haus and know that he has the best that can be had. You will have to live up to your end of the deal as an owner of such a dog.
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

There is nothing on their website discussing their actual breeding dogs nor lineage. Basically I don't even see how you came to the conclusion of anything unless you are getting information from another source.
Always_Ready
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have owned/trained a number of working line dogs. I'm a member of a DVG/IPO club in the USA. I've been researching Dutch shepherds for a while. I will be continuing gathering as much information about the breed as possible on.the forum.

Post by Always_Ready »

Mark77 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:04 pm There is nothing on their website discussing their actual breeding dogs nor lineage. Basically I don't even see how you came to the conclusion of anything unless you are getting information from another source.
[/quote

Thank you for your response!

I agree their website is pretty vague, but their Facebook page is much more up to date. I've found much of their lineage through various forums, YouTube, and Facebook. I've also spoken with them briefly, but since I am about a year out from getting a pup it is too early to tell which dogs he plans to breed in the Fall.

All of their lines are from KNPV lineage, and they sell a lot to Military, Police Departments, and a variety of other government agencies. They also have a 2 year health guarantee (which is nice). I know getting a pup regardless of the kennel can be a crap shoot sometimes but from what I've gathered Mike stands behind his dogs and will do an exchange if you're unhappy with a pup's performance.

Because of not knowing what breeding's he has planned toward the end of next year, I was trying to get an idea of how happy others are with his kennel (for those who have his dogs/have been around them). Also, I was trying to gauge if others may have additional recommendations on other kennels (there's always more info to gather) who may be producing quality working line Dutch Shepherds.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

Tim91118 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:19 pm I’m sure you’ve done your research on Logan Haus and know that he has the best that can be had. You will have to live up to your end of the deal as an owner of such a dog.
Thank you for taking the time out to respond!

I've heard nothing but great things so far! I haven't had the opportunity to get out to their kennel yet. I plan on being very busy with training if I were to get a dog from his kennel. My main goal is to set the pup up for success from the start but getting him to the club ASAP and working/socializing as much as possible.

From what I've researched his puppy imprinting program is top notch. Also he stands by his dogs (health/performance wise) which is always a plus in my book.
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

I think you’ll see a difference between dogs bred for law enforcement purposes verses sport. You might look more to the sport side. Check out Ot Vitosha lines
Tim
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

Tim91118 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm I think you’ll see a difference between dogs bred for law enforcement purposes verses sport. You might look more to the sport side. Check out Ot Vitosha lines
I have looked into Ot Vitosha as well! Ivan is a great trainer and I'm not located far from their kennel. I've actually been debating between Logan Haus and Ot Vitosha. I was drawn more to Logan Haus because of their KNPV/DS lineage but I'll definitely shoot Ot Vitosha an e-mail to get more information about their program.

Thanks again for taking the time out to respond, I appreciate all of the great advice so far!
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

KNPV are the military and police lines.
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

Mark77 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:50 pm KNPV are the military and police lines.
Do you know of anyone who has used KNPV lines in various sports with some success? (Even though most are mainly used in police & military work).

Thanks for your responses so far!
Mark77
Training Dog

Post by Mark77 »

Nearly all Dutch Shepherds in the states came out of the KNPV Royal Dutch Police lines.

Mods please move this entire thread to New Member Announcements.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

It looks like Mr or Mrs Ready has a post in New Member Announcements, separate from the question posed here.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

TimL_168 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 am It looks like Mr or Mrs Ready has a post in New Member Announcements, separate from the question posed here.
Yes Sir I did! Thanks again for your help!

I look forward to keep learning from all the members here.

I have another question for everyone, if I had an LHK dog with a high threshold, high prey drive, and was social. But had to tone down their drive when not working ...would that be easier to train over a medium drive sport mal, whose drive I'd need to build & cap to get their best performance?
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

In what context are you using the words “high threshold “ ? I find that a successfully trained dog usually always boils down to the knowledge and patience of the trainer/owner.
Tim
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

Tim91118 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 pm In what context are you using the words “high threshold “ ? I find that a successfully trained dog usually always boils down to the knowledge and patience of the trainer/owner.
A high stimulus threshold for prey drive, noises, etc. Basically, the lowest level of stimulation that will trigger a response in training.

If applying the same amount/type training to either type of dog, would it be easier to train a higher stimulus threshold? Or a lower threshold dog?
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

A dog can have a different threshold for any of the drives. He can be low prey and high defensive or vise versa. You can also have a high prey dog that is not environmentally sound. They can have high or low food drive. That’s where you come in. If you are referring to a high threshold specific to prey drive, I would say high prey or a lower threshold is better. High prey is tapped into via tug or chase as a reward. Too much and it can be a deterrent as the dog can’t focus or control his impulses if not put in check.
Tim
Always_Ready
Just Whelped

Post by Always_Ready »

Tim91118 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:39 pm A dog can have a different threshold for any of the drives. He can be low prey and high defensive or vise versa. You can also have a high prey dog that is not environmentally sound. They can have high or low food drive. That’s where you come in. If you are referring to a high threshold specific to prey drive, I would say high prey or a lower threshold is better. High prey is tapped into via tug or chase as a reward. Too much and it can be a deterrent as the dog can’t focus or control his impulses if not put in check.
Ah Ok! I'm trying to narrow down certain characteristics for the dog I want to get, & what would be best for the goals I've got in mind (what to look for in breeding genetics, etc.). Thank you for taking the time out to answer my question.
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Tim