Mustang

Have a photo you want to share?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Mustang

Post by centrop67 »

ImageTug. Yes. I have been using the old chewed up Radar tug with him, and even though the foster said he wasn't interested, he definitely is.

It's one big redirection that's working.

I just ordered a new one just for him.

I am disappointed the trainer hasn't responded. He's highly recommended. I guess he's too busy for me.

Unfortunately, where I live requires finding someone that speaks English. It's not as easy as it should be.

I know that sounds horrible or racist, but it's not meant to be. The Hispanic population here in Miami has its pluses and minuses.

On a positive note... Mustang crawled into my wife's patio chair and fell asleep. Too cute.

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

You better not let him out when he whines! I would feed him in the kennel. Put him in there for short periods throughout the day and reward when he is calm. Do not let him out just because he is whining. Put him in the kennel and sit next to it and read or mess around on your phone etc. When he’s calm and collected let him out lots of praise etc. Do you have somewhere you can put the kennel to let him get used to it that won’t drive you crazy hearing him whine at night? I know what trying to train this at night is like and it’s sucks. As for the digging that can be easily corrected once you’ve got him trained and can use correction methods.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

All in all these are things that can be fixed Mike. Not to worry.
Image Image
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Alex, I'm doing exactly what you said. It's not easy. I'm wavering between bringing the crate into the bedroom, but I don't think it's a good idea.

Actually, I know it's not.

It's only been a few days, but I know without a trainer to help me, it's going to be a long road.

He's exhibiting all the wrong behaviors I was afraid of. If I don't get a handle on it fast, it will get much more challenging.

Anyone know a trainer in south Florida?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

Yea I would not bring the crate into the bedroom. In fact I’d do the exact opposite if you’re able to. Not sure how hot it is outside there or in another part of the house/guest house etc. Get it away from you. He needs to learn that crying does not equal exit from the crate.

As for trainers in south Florida I do not know any personally. I would maybe look online Facebook Instagram etc for some PSA, or Ring or IGP clubs or something and try and find someone. Not for purposes of doing dog sports but for purpose of finding someone who knows what they’re doing. I’d also accept the fact that you may have to travel a few hours to find the right person. I’ll ask around and see if anyone I know might know someone.
Image Image
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Unfortunately, the only club I found is a little too far north. It was something I researched when I had radar.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I agree. Bramble, Ms Flipper of the Paw, learned all the wrong things while we waited for training. With Casper, I think waiting has given us time to build trust, but Casper isn't DS or DS adjacent.

The crate whining, was that an issue in his foster home? Was he anxious or trying to get his way? Bramble does fine in her soft sided crate, but whines in a wire crate.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

He loves his Momma's patio chair. We got an extra one out just for him, but he wouldn't sit in it. As soon as my wife moved to the extra chair, he jumped up and assumed position.

Michael
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

And also, exercise his mind. There are so many things you can do at home on your own, scent work, tricks, OB etc. With my three, the 2 not working at the moment need to stay on a down stay waiting for their turn - so they are working thru that too.... :-)
Patty and Ice
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

I’d use the chair to your advantage. That’s his secure place. Much can be taught from that chair.
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Lots of stuff going on with Mustang today...

1. We met him for the first time exactly one week ago.
2. He's got some type of hip issue, and the vet is currently doing X-Rays :cry:
3. The more he gets comfortable, the more he becomes a wild child:
- Nipping to initiate play
- Whining in his crate at night (although it has really only been the one night)
- digging in the backyard.

The only training we've started is crate training to get him comfortable with entering and exiting at will and on command. More training to come, but we need him to let him decompress and realize he has a forever home now.

I did finally get a trainer to contact me and then just when he was supposed to talk to us directly, he fell off the map :huh:

He needs training in ALL basic obedience, because apparently, the fosters did nothing more than walk him and let him play with their Mals. :huh:

He is so sweet when he's good I can't stand it. He walks "okay" on the leash but has a tendency to pull as we get closer to home. We are working with him on that and this morning's walk was relatively successful.

Anyways, because this is a "picture" space, here's some pics. I bet if you scroll real fast it will lok like a video:

I love the one with his teeth showing :wtg:

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Can you tell why he is whining? Is it being away from the pack or do you think he just isn't kennel trained?

From my not great training expertise, but foster parent experience, I wouldn't do the adjustment period so much. Don't get me wrong, compassion is great....but I've found it is better to start as you mean to go. First, because when life is chaotic, structure and predictability feel safe. But also, and this is me the terrible leader, dogs will either have a leader or try to be the leader. As I used to tell parents, not to let compassion for a history keep you from filling the current need. I'll get off the soapbox I totally don't deserve to be on now ;)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Yes - training OB starting today. Mustang has a little ADD-like behavior, so they have to be short sessions.

He's just too handsome for his own good - LOL

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

He is a cutie with that mischievous glint in his eye.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

Hi Michael,
I know I don't post much but I would like to offer some suggestions. I am a (don't know what the going term is) I call it relationship based trainer. I don't use "equipment" for training. I know, a bite sport dog with positive only? Believe me, you can't make fun of me anymore than I have already been made fun of. I've heard it all. But it works for us and he is a schutzhund 3 with high in trial for his 1, 2 and 3.. I don't know what your training skill level is but there is sooooo much you can do on your own.

Crate train - I differ from everyone else. All of my pups have had their crate in my room for night time. All the way up to the time they were ready to sleep crate free. They are social animals, they don't want to be segregated from everyone else. You should look into Susan Garrett's "crate games". I have never personally watched the videos but she is an amazing trainer (not just for agility).

I heard you say he needs OB, I personally would start teaching tricks. I find that your attitude is softer and the dog finds it more fun. Once you teach him learning is fun, sit, down stay etc is easy.... I would start with shaping stuff. If shaping isn't getting you where you want, use luring. It truly doesn't matter as long as the trainer and trainee are happy. Your only limits are what he can physically do and your imagination. This will make him so much more operant and that in turn makes training easier. I have taught ICE some really silly stuff... He stands all 4 paws on a 6" x 6" box, he circles around me from heel position tightly back to heel position, he weaves between my legs backwards (and he is so tall and I am so not, he has to bend down to get under my legs), he can do a handstand. He will never need this stuff, its just fun and silly. I do all of my teaching with food then switch to toy when he understands and truly knows how to do it on a verbal.

I definitely believe tugging and toy play is a very important outlet for these dogs. To me the most important aspects are targeting and out. You first need to teach him to target as getting bit accidentally hurts... Then the out when you say makes the games funner. If you are still working on the out you can use the 2 toy method so playing doesn't get stressful. when he is coming back with the first toy activate the 2nd and when he drops the first throw the 2nd...

just my :twocents:
Patty and Ice
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thank you Patty - I think Ice is one of the most impressive dogs on this site, so your advice will be taken seriously.

I did almost everything on my own with Radar, and it's interesting that I used a lot of what you are talking about: high engagement through fetch and tug, two-toy, and shaping.

We never engaged in competition or even trained for any (Radar and I), because I felt his reactivity would be a barrier. So, we just did our own thing in the backyard and on our hikes. I felt like I never got it just right with Radar, and that is why I am looking for professional help - you know, a 2nd pair of eyes.

I am watching the Leerburg Basic Obedience video today (Videos are 50% off until tomorrow at midnight). I'll take the good and bad and work with it. That doesn't mean I am going to stop looking for professional help.

Thanks again.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

BTW everyone...

The foster told me Mustang didn't tug or fetch.

Wrong answer.

He loves both - or maybe he sees how much I love it and wants to be part of that.
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I didn't have any gray hair when Radar came into my life.

Crazy hours with Radar changed all that.

Mustang has timed his crazy hours to my workday decompression just for fun.

Here's a pic of Mustang in my lap being calm just for the irony.

Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

He's such a cute baby.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor