Starmark Easy Glide Disc promotional video

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
pdlucky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a 18 month old neutered male Dutch Shepherd.

Starmark Easy Glide Disc promotional video

Post by pdlucky »

I found this video when I was looking to get a frisbee for Remington and the first dog in the video is obviously a DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lei2mEx54w
Paul
Remington 2 year old flying Dutch Shepherd
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Starmark Easy Glide Disc promotional video

Post by Christie M »

I think I need one!!!! I love the fact that it floats. I love to swim the kids!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Yeah, Marco wants one too.

He loves frisbees and we went already through a lot. He likes to make "sandwiches" or re-designs it and takes the middle out. Only soft ones work for us so he doesn't cut his gums when he is "working" on it. Right now, believe it or not, we have a jute frisbee. Got it for $2.49 at Tuesday Morning. I thought if it doesn't work, not too much money lost. It is very durable, just soooo messy when it gets wet and sand/dirt sticks to it But he Marco likes it and it holds up.......
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

That looks like a cool frisbee and nice to see a DS advertising it!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Love em want em!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
pdlucky
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a 18 month old neutered male Dutch Shepherd.

Post by pdlucky »

I purchased one and Remington loves it. He took to a frisbee really quick. Yesterday when we went to the dog park with the frisbee evryone there just stopped and all conversations stopped for about the first 10 minutes while Remington was flying through the air catching this frsbee. It really is super easy to throw and it seems to be holding up way better then the hard plastic ones. Although it would be destroyed in a minute if I left it with Remington unsupervised. I will get my boy to take a video of Remington playing with his frisbee soon and upload the video.
Paul
ZodiacT
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I was introduced to the Dutch Shepherd breed during my time as an Army veterinary technician working with Military Working Dogs. I fell in love with the breed and by pure chance happened to meet a DS in a local rescue who was a police K9 washout and was up for adoption. We adopted Zodiac right away and she has been an important part of our family ever since. We currently compete in Rally-Obedience and participate in Agility.

Post by ZodiacT »

That's so cool to see a Dutch in the ad! Too bad Zodiac doesn't care about frisbees or I'd buy one just because of the DS, lol.
Hayley St.Pierre-Thomas and Zodiac RL1-AOE, RL2-AOE, CGC
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Got Sugar one, she loves it! She needs to learn how to catch it in the air. I think Remington needs to come over and show her how its done!

I've started rolling it and she will get it most of the time that way, but not in the air yet. Its funny, because as she grabs it, she does a little growl. Never heard that before when she gets a ball....

Here's my little frog-dog pooped out after playing catch:
Sue (and Sugar)

felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Cool!! I bet before long she will catch it out of the air.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

haaaaaaaa!! i just realized why you said your little frog-dog!!! :lol: very cute!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

that's gotta be the coolest dog frisbee ever!

the problem I have with Geyser and frisbees is she won't wait for it to float down some...she's just gotta leap up to grab it, and I just cringe about her landing wrong on her back legs...

perhaps if I could toss better and keep them closer to the ground :eek:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
lisaanne
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.

Post by lisaanne »

I gotta wonder, how quick/easy to demolish one of these things? Beta can make mince meat out of anything in a hot second. Luckily, she only destroys real "toys", not anyone else's belonging....but, you gotta watch to make sure she doesn't sneak any sticks in through the doggie door.

I would love to get a more durable flying disc. Beta is good at it:)
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I think that frisbee is pretty durable, as long as you don't leave it with your puppy to demolish. I'm sure Geyser would do so in a heartbeat, if she was allowed. But, if you keep it for an "only when you're playing with me" toy, you've got a chance (I don't know how old your puppy is, tho).
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

It does seem pretty durable, it is standing up so for to the little bit of chewing she does after she catches it. But there is no prolonged chewing, and it is only out for her when we are playing catch with it.
Sue (and Sugar)

pdlucky
Puppy

Post by pdlucky »

Remington's is holding up great. It does have a ton of puncture marks in it but it still holds water and flies straight. I will get a video put together of Remington in action with this thing. He absolutely loves it and all the attention he gets when he's flying through the air to catch it. I would recomend this frisbee to everyone.
Paul
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

So to anyone who had to teach their dog to catch a frisbee, how long did it take for them to learn?
Sue (and Sugar)

leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Sugars Mom wrote:So to anyone who had to teach their dog to catch a frisbee, how long did it take for them to learn?
Not very long, but have you taught Sugar to catch other things first? I think that helps.

If I were starting with a dog that didn't have a strong "catch" thing going on, I'd use the pointers from the frisbee video; teach the dog to circle around your back, then roll the frisbee on the ground, on it's side. The dog will rush to get it, and can just pick it up from the ground. Then when the dog's an ace at that, gradually start to toss it a bit higher, etc.

What I did with Geyser was to toss it directly at her; she already knew about catching, so I'd toss it to her and say "catch." Then just gradually tossed it away from her, etc.

I like his way of teaching this, tho. Makes a lot of sense to me.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

I've started with having her go around me and my rolling it. She is getting pretty good at getting it that way, tho not 100%. Just seems to be taking her longer then it usually does for her to "get" something. But then again, I'm impatient ; )
Sue (and Sugar)

pdlucky
Puppy

Post by pdlucky »

I started throwing a ball up in the air with Remington in fromt of me facing me and once he got the eye mouth cordination down we moved it to outside and I would bounce the ball up and quickly he learned to time his jump when it was coming down. So once we had the catch going for us I picked up a frisbee one day and threw it for him and he ran after it and jumped and missed it then when it landed he pawed at it and then left it alone so I told my daughter to go out and pick it up and bring it back. Remington watched her do this and when she brought it back to me I acted all excited and told her good job. Then I had Remington sit and I threw it and he ran jumped caught it and brought it back and hasn't stopped since. Teaching him to go around my back was pretty easy I just told him to go around and had him follow the frisbee around my back and then I would throw it once he went around 4 or 5 times later he was running around my back before I would tell him to. Now I have him going between my legs and also doing a down before going around my back. Once I got him to go around my back his catch percentage went up to 90% at least. Of course as soon as I wanted the kids to take a video for me it has started raining and doesn't look to be letting up any time soon. But the next nice day I will get that video for everyone to see. I think Remington might have some disc dog competitions in his future.
Paul
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Cino loves it.

Not sure why I never tried a frisbee with him before. He had no clue what to do with it so it was back to the basics.

Started with getting him to grab it with his mouth, out it, praise. repeat...
Then tossed it about a foot away, get it, out, praise. repeat...
Then tossed it several feet away, get it, out, sit, praise. repeat...

In less than ten minutes of the above he was catching it in the air, flipping it up in the air after he got it, bringing it back, etc...

On the walk back to the truck his attention all about the frisbee ... just like when I have the chuck-it.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)