Found a dutch in my area.....FINALLY

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
Iron Mike
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in NC in the mountains. I currently own a heeler mix and a lab.

Found a dutch in my area.....FINALLY

Post by Iron Mike »

I was so excited. I was in a K9 training school with numerous gents sporting GSD and Mals. We go to eat at this Country Diner and to my suprise is an unattended Dutch. He was just laying out front, not on a lead and noone was around. I stopped and began playing with him and was taking some pictures when a man walked out and introduced himself as the owner. He told me that the dog was a washout from a K9 unit somewhere because the dog was apprehensive to bite. He told me that he was looking to breed him. This could be a chance for me to get a pup but I'm not sure how to approach finding a female. Either way I got a contact high from just seeing such a fine specimen.
Attachments
dutch .jpg
dutch .jpg (378.36 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
"My dogs have trained me just the way they want me."
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Found a dutch in my area.....FINALLY

Post by icvanstra »

Good find! ...I'm just apprehensive about the dog being a washout and the owner still wanting to breed the dog.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote:Good find! ...I'm just apprehensive about the dog being a washout and the owner still wanting to breed the dog.
Yeah, I'm with Eric on this one. Why would someone want to breed a working breed that can't work? There will always be some great pups in a working litter that will make excellent stable pets. Why water down the population by breeding just "pet" dogs. That is one of the many reasons we have so many come through rescue.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dosnt sound Kosher to me either.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Iron Mike
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in NC in the mountains. I currently own a heeler mix and a lab.

Post by Iron Mike »

I guess I was just thinking that maybe the washout could have been the result of poor handling or training. OR it could be that I got tunnel vision because I want a Dutch. I also didn't choose a very lucrative career so I'm trying to avoid dropping major $$$$$$.
As with my other posts I do appreciate everyones honesty in your responses and as the novice I will follow your guidance.
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Have patience.

are you looking for a pet/best friend...or are you looking for a dog to work/train in a sport?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Iron Mike
Just Whelped

Post by Iron Mike »

I would like to get a pup with a high prey/ball drive with the ambition that it grow into a patrol dog. I can settle for single purpose narcotics dog but I am hoping for much more.
Brindle
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )

Post by Brindle »

Iron Mike wrote:I would like to get a pup with a high prey/ball drive with the ambition that it grow into a patrol dog. I can settle for single purpose narcotics dog but I am hoping for much more.
Hi Mike,
Congratulations on finding a beautiful DS in your area.

As you are looking for a pup, clearly a working pup, it would make sense to stack the odds in your favor by getting one from proven working lines.
Not that all pups in a 'working' X 'working' litter will be workers but you have a much better chance of getting what you are seeking from proven lines.

Sounds like you have a local K9 training group that can help you with raising and training for your goals :wtg: That's a big plus.

I too am in a less lucrative career :wall: . My solution was to put away a few dollars every paycheck in a seperate savings account. Amazing how quickly it adds up. Gave me time to research ( and contact ) breeders of my future addition.
Remember top dollar doesn't necessarily equal top dog. There are some less than reputable breeders out there in every breed.
Do your research, take your time. You'll be glad you did :D

I'm glad I did !!!
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

Excellent suggestion Jenny. That is what I am doing right now. My husband said he wouldn't divorce me if I brought another dog home :lol:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

Kristie Elliott wrote:Excellent suggestion Jenny. That is what I am doing right now. My husband said he wouldn't divorce me if I brought another dog home :lol:

Ohhh so will there be another DS in your future???
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

dutchringdog wrote:
Kristie Elliott wrote:Excellent suggestion Jenny. That is what I am doing right now. My husband said he wouldn't divorce me if I brought another dog home :lol:

Ohhh so will there be another DS in your future???
That is the plan... :player:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

Kristie Elliott wrote::

Ohhh so will there be another DS in your future???[/quote]

That is the plan... :player:[/quote]

Goodie Goodie!!!
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
Tucker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Proud friend of a wonderful Dutch named Tucker . We live in the Pacific North West and enjoy the vast open beaches , mountains and valleys. He is now 1 year old and is becoming more curious in his surroundings.

Post by Tucker »

They will enhance your life, but your life better be a busy one they bore very easily. walks walks walks .... take them to a field with tall grass and let them play, they will go for hours.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Iron Mike. I am sure you get tired of hearing it, but I too suggest you do not plan on getting a pup from a washout parent. You said 'he' so I will assume it's a male. The owner has to find a female first, and anyone who owns a nice female will refuse to water her down by using a dud for a stud. Chances are the female that would get used in that prospective match, is less than working quality herself.
You must think we are just a bunch of breeders, afraid to lose our business to someone else. Nothing is further from the truth. I think we are a bunch of people who love the breed, who have been there and done that, and who know what the chances are that you are going to get a drivey dog with good health (! I do not expect genetic health guarantees from the match you are contemplating) if you go with a pup from the K9washout. You might get a cheap (or free) pup that way, but after initial purchase 'they all cost the same' (maintenance. Assuming you don't run into health issues that stem from bad skelletal problems) Feeding a dog that will not work, is also as expensive as feeding one that will.
If you possibly regret your career choices, don't regret the choice of a pup that cannot likely deliver on the career you had in mind for him. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Iron Mike
Just Whelped

Post by Iron Mike »

I am not at all tired of everyones advice. I sincerely appreciate unfiltered honesty. I know that I can sometimes get tunnel vision when I am trying to get something accomplished. I certainly don't want to invest time and money in a poor specimen. I also don't feel like this is a bunch of breeders competing for business. I can clearly see the passion that many of you have for this breed. I have slowed down my search for the moment and am just making sure that I am financially in the right position when a better oppurunity arises. How much should i be planning on spending? Just asking for an approximation....
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Probably $1000-$1200 would be a good target range to have in mind.

(And I really think you're wise to slow it down and make sure you do it right...delay of gratification hurts, but IMO tends to lead to a better outcome :mrgreen: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...