A small DS in Japan?

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

A small DS in Japan?

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: A small DS in Japan?

Post by Sugars Mom »

Very sad story...heartbreaking...but on the doggie note, it looks like a mini DS; the same size as Sugar.
Sue (and Sugar)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

A mini DS...? You're just being cute 'cause she's a still a pup, right?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Sugar is a DS mix, hence the mini-ness...her Mom was NOT a DS, and apparently was only around 30 lbs. She obviously got all her good looks from her Dad : )

Last time I weighed Sugar she was 31 lbs and at 14 months old, she is not going to get any bigger (see her in the pic below with my 12 year old step son taken last month - she is mini sized!!).
Sue (and Sugar)

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Mini in size but maxi cute!!!! :wtg:

I voted for Sugar's patriot pic. Pst, but please don't tell Marco
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awwww, thanks! We think so too! :dssmile: ....and I won't tell Marco about your vote ;)
Sue (and Sugar)

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

How about a vote that the Japanese hold out's dog is a Kai Inu? (Kai ken?) They are small(er) and come in brindle, brindle, brindle and brindle. ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

What? They don't come in brindle? Bummer... :eew:
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

You got my vote, I believe that's the breed the dog is.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog

Post by Schlussdibusti »

vneerland wrote:How about a vote that the Japanese hold out's dog is a Kai Inu? (Kai ken?) They are small(er) and come in brindle, brindle, brindle and brindle. ;)
:wtg: That's it !! Thanks for sharing. When I googled "Kai Inu", I found this site:
http://www.kai-ken.org/index.htm Seems like they are pretty tough dogs. Makes me wonder about how breeds evolve. Maybe a Kai Inu made it's way to Europe, way back, and mated with a "local" shepherd type dog and that's how the DS got started. :duh:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Schlussdibusti wrote: :wtg: That's it !! Thanks for sharing. When I googled "Kai Inu", I found this site:
http://www.kai-ken.org/index.htm Seems like they are pretty tough dogs. Makes me wonder about how breeds evolve. Maybe a Kai Inu made it's way to Europe, way back, and mated with a "local" shepherd type dog and that's how the DS got started. :duh:

Maybe the other way around? A DS made it to Japan, and the rest is KaiKen history? :twisted:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

vneerland wrote:How about a vote that the Japanese hold out's dog is a Kai Inu? (Kai ken?) They are small(er) and come in brindle, brindle, brindle and brindle. ;)
Kai ken seems to me to resemble a Shiba inu with a less curly tail if it had a brindle coat...don't know about overall size, but that head is not at all like a DS.

Soooo many breeds come in brindle...

Is there a gene for the likelihood of ears being "prick"??? LOL.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
makinois
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi I grew up with Japanese Akita, Shiba, Golden and Japanese Chin. I do schH and SAR. I have a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by makinois »

Hi I have a real DS in Japan.Haha. and I know Kai dogs here. They aren't related at all.They are primitive smaller, deer hunting dog. People would say Kai dogs can only follow one master and more aggressive than a DS(in my opinion), but recently breeders started breeding more pet type of Kai dogs. They are bigger than Shiba but smaller than Akita. We don't have that many hunters anymore. Dutch is more domesticated and trainable. I'm glad I have a DS!!