American Breeders\European Breeders

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

American Breeders\European Breeders

Post by HARNW76 »

I'm in the process of finding a breeder for my first DS.
I'm new to the breed so I'm unsure of what's available
to us in America. I'll be looking for a dog that can do
serious protection work and most likely PSA. I'm wondering
if there is any need for me to look to breeders outside of
America to find a great breeder with great breeding pairs
for such work. Would there be any benefit looking to
European breeders for such a dog?
A final note. I'm new to forums and such. So if this was the
wrong place to ask such questions I apologize already. :doh:
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: American Breeders\European Breeders

Post by Christie M »

I think this is a good place to ask it. We'll bothbe schooled if not :D

The typical dog that people choose for PSA is a strong KNPV dog. However, many of these dogs have a harder time in the upper levels because there is SO much stimulation that the dog must endure while still maintaining control. I don't believe that anywhere in KNPV (or any other sport) must a dog call off of an actively charging, agitating decoy (or a few). Or do complex obedience routines while decoys are standing 3 feet away trying to engage the dog into a bite. I think a dog that is slightly more biddable is more suited. But that's just me.

I think you can find a great dog stateside without having to import. We have some very strong KNPV lines over here, as well as some biddable lines (some of the FR lines tend to lend themselves to that), and some people who are trying to blend the two.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
HARNW76
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 55 year old CNC programmer living in the USA. I've owned 4 GSD, but I'm considering a Dutch Shephard for my next. I'm looking to gain as much information about the breed as I can before making my decision.

Re: American Breeders\European Breeders

Post by HARNW76 »

Christie, Because I would like the dog to be able to do both sport and serious protection work I was thinking about KNPV lines as my best option. A good thought, a bad thought, or just a plane dumb thought?
Thanks,
Harold Eaker
Outside St.Louis, Mo. USA