Breeders in WA,OR, ID, or MT?

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
tblanksma
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Sudent at Washington State University.

Breeders in WA,OR, ID, or MT?

Post by tblanksma »

I am hoping to purchase a Dutch Shepherd sometime next year. I am looking for a breeder in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, or Montana. I might even consider California. I would prefer to see the dog in person before buying it. I've also been struggling to find a solid price range for this breed, so if anyone could help clear up pricing, that'd be awesome. Any suggested breeders would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Re: Breeders in WA,OR, ID, or MT?

Post by LyonsFamily »

Most of the DS I've seen go for about $1200 from a reputable breeder. I've seen dogs go for less with hip and elbow certifications, but I think they are an absolute necessity. What are you looking for in the dog? Specific Sport work?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Ted Summers
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: PSA, Detection services, PSD/LE

Post by Ted Summers »

There is a guy in WA that has some great dogs. I found him over on the working dog forum.
Ted Summers
Malinios Lech (soon to be explosives)
Dutchie Static (soon to be human remains)
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Les Flores is in Washington, I would start there.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
tblanksma
Just Whelped

Post by tblanksma »

Thanks guys! Les Flores is actually in my hometown. The year after next, I hope to be moving to Spokane,WA (aka Spo-Compton haha) for pharmacy school. Spokane does not have a good reputation for safety. I go for daily jogs and/or bike rides. I don't want to give up my active lifestyle just because I feel unsafe in my city. I will likely be living on my own as well. By the way, I'm a 21 yr old female, if that matters to anyone. If I get a dog, I will be putting it through protection training. I have plenty of time to save up and really think about whether a dog would fit into my life. My grandpa raised German Shepherds and I really liked the breed, but their hip problems are a real put off for me. So that's how I've ended up looking at the Dutchies. Sorry for the novel!
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

My comment was supposed to say I've seen dogs go for less *without hip and elbow certifications.

My advice would be to go to some kennels now and see the dogs for yourself. Ask if they have a younger one that isn't fully trained so you can see how crazy they are. It's one thing to see these dogs out performing, but there is a lot of work that has to go into the dogs beforehand. If you've never worked a DS or mal before, they can be a bit much. One may fit in perfectly with your lifestyle, but visit some adults before shopping around.

I was still taking classes when I got Odin, but luckily my husband works from home and was here with him and could give him the exercise he needed while I was gone at school. He would've have done well home alone with me working and going to school.
Stephanie
tblanksma
Just Whelped

Post by tblanksma »

Thank you so much for your insight! I didn't realize their personality was more high strung than German Shepherds.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

tblanksma wrote:Thank you so much for your insight! I didn't realize their personality was more high strung than German Shepherds.
Depending on the lines of German Shepherds, they can vary greatly. You can find some DS that are similar to working line GSDs, but if you're used to the American bred showlines, it's a big difference. Finding a dog suitable for personal protection training is probably going to bring you towards the more high strung/high drive side of the breed.
Stephanie
Marla1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just purchased my first DS last week, after wanting one for 2 years! Her name is Raven and she is so smart and beautiful! Fully potty trained and crate trained in one week! We live in the country with chickens goats and horses and 10 yr old mini Aussi, 8 yr Rotti and yes I know huge mistake a 10 week old mini Aussi as well. I have already committed a crime by having two puppies at once! My plans are to do agility with both puppies something I had just started with another mini aussi pup prior to losing him to Meningitis. I am so glad this forum is available for information.

Post by Marla1 »

You can also check out Rapport Kennels in Standish Oregon. They have a litter born June 17th, I just went and bought a female DS. Love her to death and so smart. I have been looking for 2 years!