"Bak" update

General issues of training/education
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: "Bak" update

Post by Christie M »

Some cute things that I did with this behavior:

Used a small basketball and hoop (the kind for hanging on the back of a door inside) and taught Dante how to make baskets. This was GREAT for demos with kids.

Taught them how to gently take dollar bills and place them in a basket or bucket. Great for when we would volunteer for the Salvation Army at Christmas time. I always earned the most money because people would much rather give it to the dog than hand it to me :lol:
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Drizlaru wrote:Fact - Dogs can differentiate and retain in memory over 350 english words associated with commands and objects. Don't be afraid to use short proper names to specify objects to pick up. You probably knew this already, but it bears mentioning for those who don't!
Well, there you go. That's her problem then. :roll: Since she is training the dog in Dutch. :twisted:
(could not resist, sorry)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Diesel
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.

Post by Diesel »

I am inspired! We have a basket with toys in it, I have been wanting to teach Diesel the difference between his toys. "go get your kong" etc. How great would it be for him to put them away too!

We had a guest over for dinner the other night and he was thoroughly freaked out when Diesel would twist his head everytime I said a word he recognized!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:
Drizlaru wrote:Fact - Dogs can differentiate and retain in memory over 350 english words associated with commands and objects. Don't be afraid to use short proper names to specify objects to pick up. You probably knew this already, but it bears mentioning for those who don't!
Well, there you go. That's her problem then. :roll: Since she is training the dog in Dutch. :twisted:
(could not resist, sorry)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She knows some toys by name ;)

I see a nice career with that money collecting trick christie!! Think I'll wear my sunglasses 8-) and sit on a cardboard box in the shopping mall in some dirty clothes (just go for a walk with the brindles first), take Ivil with me and a basket :) I'm gonna be rich!! :player:
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Fact - Dogs can differentiate and retain in memory over 350 english words associated with commands and objects. Don't be afraid to use short proper names to specify objects to pick up. You probably knew this already, but it bears mentioning for those who don't!
Do you know how many German words? :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Schlussdibusti wrote:
Do you know how many German words? :mrgreen:
2, bratwurst und gassi :D

Today was funny, my little nephew came for a visit, he is 1,5 now. We have bought him some toys, lego blocks, to play with when he visits to prevent damage to more valuable goods :mrgreen:
Anyway, we have a box of lego, like any kid that age first thing he does is pick up the box and hold it over his head so all the blocks fall out and scatter around the living room. Then he will walk around in the pile kicking the blocks to infinity...great, Lego everywhere. Dingo was outside, he loves our nephew but has a tendency to "herding" and controlling him which I do not like. So Ivil was in the house with us, and soon realized that all these Lego blocks were potential treats! Just pick them up one by one and bring them to Marjolein! :idea:

And so it started, she came to bring me the blocks one by one, little nephew would collect them from the table again and spread them around the room again :roll: At one point they decided to go home so we have to clean up the blocks, I had already pictured our "bak" command in this, and our nephew and Ivil have collected all blocks together and dropped them in the box :D My nephew was stunned to see the dog was doing the same as him :lol: He smiled a lot, and was hurrying to get another block as Ivil was too :D Haha, super command, very helpfull so far ;)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Nice...some competition!
Sue (and Sugar)