"Bak" update

General issues of training/education
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

"Bak" update

Post by Marjolein »

maybe better to start our own topic on the "go-to-bin" project :D

Today we came to the "slow down" point where it got hard for the first time ;)
Ivil started to play with her toys instead of putting them in the basket :? Now what... decided best thing to do is wait, no click, no attention, no nothing. Once she was trough slamming herself in the chest with the ball-on-a-rope :roll: we could move on. She dropped it in the basket as much as next to it.
Mmmhh, no click for dropping it next to it got her confused, and frustrated, so she started playing again with another squeeky toy (>squeek< ... >squeek< ...>squeek< ...>squeek<>squeek<>squeek< ) :roll:
I then decided to go back to just one toy, no noisy one or one with rope. She would put her head in the basket while holding the rope, the ball dangling outside of the basket, she dropped it, and it fell next to it ofcourse...

Back to a plane ol' ball, this was better/easier. She did not get it right away, but after 6 times or so, she seemed to understand it had to fall in the basket. I moved the basket to the other side of me, and she did try to drop it in the basket, when it did, lots of treats and finished for today!
Tomorrow I'm free all day, so we can practice severeal short times.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: "Bak" update

Post by Lauren »

Good for you and Ivil! It is so hard to wait it out while they go through the frustration. i know that I am practically holding my breath to see whether they will get the idea or give up first.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow! :D
Lauren from Western NC
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote: Back to a plane ol' ball, this was better/easier.
Good thinkin', Lincoln!

I alway start with little things that aren't as challenging as a ball on a rope. Even now, when Geyser's putting away her toys at nite, one of which is a "rag" (cut off sleeve from a sweatshirt with a knot tied on one end), she'll rush up to the basket, drop the "rag," maybe it makes it in, maybe not :lol: . I just stand there and wait...she'll look back, see it, try again. She's always in such a rush! (She has to put all her toys away before she can "help" me do the nightly vacuuming, which she loves :mrgreen: )

You and Ivil have gotten this one so quickly!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

I love your descriptions of training woes, makes me laugh from the way you tell it. You will have to get some pictures!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Totally in awe. I am still trying to teach a husband to pick up after himself. Once I got that, I think I might try to graduate to dogs, but if I cannot teach a human, how much luck would I have with the 4 legged species?
(answer: the 4 leggeds are a LOT easier!) ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

That is one reason why I love spending time with my four legged one...much easier to train!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Mmmh, I believe I'm that 2 legged creature in the house that cannot be taught how to clean up :oops: But hey, if I can use my dogs for it, what's the big deal? Next trick will be vacuming :lol:

lousy pics, kinda hard focusing on Ivil and the clicker in one hand, camera in the other, you can see by the way she is looking at me "what's with the camera, we are training!" haha

"Pwut dwonw twe cwam! We warr twaining!"

"bak!"
into the basket, (I started by throwing the treat into the basket so she is looking for the treat after dropping the ball :mrgreen: )

"Happy now?"

on the way with the second toy...

owww, missed... no click :(

attempt 2...yes, the toy made it to the basket!!! >click< treat :D
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Cool!!
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

vneerland wrote:Totally in awe. I am still trying to teach a husband to pick up after himself. Once I got that, I think I might try to graduate to dogs, but if I cannot teach a human, how much luck would I have with the 4 legged species?
(answer: the 4 leggeds are a LOT easier!) ;)
Figured that out long ago! :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Ivil is wanting you to focus! How can she train you to feed her if you are fooling with the camera and not paying proper attention?
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

alspyce wrote:Ivil is wanting you to focus! How can she train you to feed her if you are fooling with the camera and not paying proper attention?
It's all your fault!! You guys made me take pictures :dsangry: From now on, no more pics :dsrazz:
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ivil is so cool, putting those toys in the "bak". You can actually see her thinking about what she is doing :wtg:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

I love look on her face in the pics.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

great pics!

I have the same problem with my video camera, tho it's a flip and a little easier than a camera, since once you turn it on, you just hold it...still too much to try to focus on, eh? :lol: :lol:

Ivil is very funny!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Judith, 4-legged trumps 2-legged trainees anytime! :wtg: After nearly 40 yrs with the ol' man, I've given up and that old dog ain't learning no new ones for sure. :lol: May be why I enjoy training the dogs so much! :love:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

we have moved on a bit, we had to hang in for a bit for the dropping things in the basket for a while. She would usually do the first 3 drops 100%, and than suddenly decide it is time to bring it to me again. As much as she wanted to do it right, it never occured to her to go to the basket. I had to help her by moving to the basket, or kicking the basket to focus her on it. This forced me to be next to the basket, and I wanted it to be away from me, sending her to it. So we had to practice over a week before she was ready to have the basket moved further and further away from me.

Now we have gotten to the point where she seems to start to really get the idea, "I have to drop things in it". Even picking it up when it falls out and putting it back into the basket real gently :)
Today I have combined 2 games, we hide stuff in the living room (keyrings, bracelet, old watch, little car toy, coin etc) and they have to search and bring it. So for Ivil today she had to search and drop all 10 items into the basket, all went in!! I did put the basket right next to me for this first time, next time I will move it 1 dog-length (haha) away from me.
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

:lol:

sounds like a great game!

(I think moving too quickly is the bane of most of us; it sure is for me :lol: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Sounds like great progress! I know patience isn't my favorite thing either but you guys are getting there. Very cool!
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

:w00t: Nice! (big reward= :pint: )
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Post by Drizlaru »

Marjolein wrote:we have moved on a bit, we had to hang in for a bit for the dropping things in the basket for a while. She would usually do the first 3 drops 100%, and than suddenly decide it is time to bring it to me again. As much as she wanted to do it right, it never occured to her to go to the basket. I had to help her by moving to the basket, or kicking the basket to focus her on it. This forced me to be next to the basket, and I wanted it to be away from me, sending her to it. So we had to practice over a week before she was ready to have the basket moved further and further away from me.

Now we have gotten to the point where she seems to start to really get the idea, "I have to drop things in it". Even picking it up when it falls out and putting it back into the basket real gently :)
Today I have combined 2 games, we hide stuff in the living room (keyrings, bracelet, old watch, little car toy, coin etc) and they have to search and bring it. So for Ivil today she had to search and drop all 10 items into the basket, all went in!! I did put the basket right next to me for this first time, next time I will move it 1 dog-length (haha) away from me.
Fact - Dogs can differentiate and retain in memory over 350 english words associated with commands and objects. Don't be afraid to use short proper names to specify objects to pick up. You probably knew this already, but it bears mentioning for those who don't!

(p.s. Excellent job too!)
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald