Young Puppy Socialization Questions

General issues of training/education
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Young Puppy Socialization Questions

Post by Karin »

Hi all.

New here so bear with me. I will be getting a DS on or about July 20, when he/she is 8 weeks old. Very excited. Les Flores in WA is the breeder. I have sent him a list of characteristics that I'm looking for:
1. Social with Humans
2. Confident but not dominant
3. Good play drive
4. curious and inquisitive
5. Slight preference for male
6. Preference for smaller

I am hoping to train search and rescue... more the search. I went out with one of the local groups recently to start acclimating myself. The head person, was very intense and, IMO quite rigid in how she sees early puppy training for SAR. She seems very suspect of me getting a DS and insists they or, the SAR DS is NOT a pet but a working dog. Her recommendation was first to call Les and ask for a puppy that is as dominant as possible. In terms of raising a puppy she advocates a lot of crating, limited play with my existing dogs (not a problem as they are both senior and won't be great playmates anyway) and limiting the puppy to only play with me. Specifically, my husband cannot play with the puppy (only my husband and I in the home, no kids).
The dog cannot play with sticks or pinecones, only toys offered by me. The dog must see me as the only object of value in his/her life.

I'm reading a ton on puppies and raising and socialization and you tubing etc. Also based on my experience with dogs including Aussies and a GSD, I'm going to socialize socialize socialize to people, places and kids in particular, cats, and dogs. There is also no way I would tell my husband not to play with the puppy.

Anyway, wanted your thoughts. I think this woman wants to train the special forces of SAR. Interestingly I'm reading Mike Ritland's book on K9 Warriors and he talks about extensive socialization... interestingly too he advocates for his working dogs weening early but that is another issue. I'm not certain there is a place in SAR for me because while I'm serious, I'm not rigid. I'll continue down that road for a while.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Karin
Green Dog
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Young Puppy Socialization Questions

Post by Karin »

If you haven't seen this video on the Dutch Shepherd that is the first mining SAR dog check it out. Two videos, the second incorporates much of the first and is 13 minutes long. First is much shorter.

I like her heart and drive but seems like a very social animal.

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1647292835/ ... ine-rescue
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Born May 24, 2013
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I think the trainer is off in her opinions. While DS are serious working dogs, you'll find that the majority of us have them as pets first. Les Flores breeds very nice working FCI dogs, so you should be getting a nice stable puppy that will work and be a good family member with the right training. These aren't going to be the extreme KNPV dogs that'll take a handler's ear off. Your DS is likely to be like velcro anyway, it's in their nature, so you're already going to be the center of his life. I do think your husband should be involved with the puppy. It's going to be his dog too, right. You're probably going to want help and a tag teamer to take over playing with the puppy sometimes while you change your ripped jeans. :DSangel:

I don't like the word socialization when it comes to dogs, because so much can go wrong if not done with thought. That doesn't mean keep them in a bubble, but just be cautious about exposure and make sure everything is a good experience for the puppy. Instead of taking him to a screaming soccer match right away, invite over a few dog savvy children to help walk him. Karen Pryor has a good article on her website about it. I've posted it before, but it's a great read for anyone getting a new dog. http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3953

I'm of the opinion that I don't like everyone, so my dog doesn't have to either. We move at the pace that is comfortable to him. I don't push him into new situations and having dog friends isn't a priority of mine. Toleration is necessary for the other dogs in the home, but he doesn't have to play with them. That's a big reason why I avoid dog parks and I don't let strangers pet him.

Lastly, have you considered tracking as a dog sport? It has the search factor that you're interested in, but there are a lot of pet-type people involved too. I could never personally do the drop everything type lifestyle SAR teams require. Tracking seems like a good alternative and you might be about to get on a volunteer search team or try out some competitions.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Well said Stephanie ! I really dont like the word socialization either. Would you like it if someone forced you to get along with everyone? That would drive me nuts ! They will or they wont, dont make them. Thalie loves everyone, thats just her nature. Sadie, not so much, and I accept that and dont make her. There really is no reason for that anyway, I hate dog parks and we dont have many dog parties. :pint
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Karin
Green Dog

Post by Karin »

Thank you so much for feedback. I do appreciate it. I also love the little quips you folks put in... guess I better get off to the thrift store and buy a few pair of jeans. Stephanie, thanks for the sources and ideas.
I appreciate the thoughts on .... raising a puppy too... haven't had a puppy in 12 years so maybe the lingo is a bit old. Maybe I'm reading too many books on the subject. :ugeek:
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Born May 24, 2013
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

the training of a 100% working dog can look "cruel" to a pet owner.

I ran into the cutest black Lab puppy on the local dog beach and it was not allowed to play with the other dogs and had to ignore the toys flying around. I was told it was raised to be a seeing eye dog.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

could you imagine though a seeing eye dog running after a squirrel?? that wouldnt be good. I was in a restaurant today and a woman in a wheelchair had her lab with her, he was so cue, laid quietly while she ate.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Dutchringgirl wrote:could you imagine though a seeing eye dog running after a squirrel
yes, I know.... :stickman:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida