nosework classes in Maryland

General issues of training/education
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

nosework classes in Maryland

Post by TimL_168 »

En and I just completed our nosework 1 class this past Sunday. It really was eye opening for me, even with everything everything I've read and all the work we've done! It really helped to build En's focus on following her nose. I most likely won't be continuing to level 2 with her, since my goals for her are very different, and I don't want to complicate things or take time away from tracking. Speaking of that, our nosework trainer forwarded me a link to a group that does/teaches game trailing!
For anyone in the central Maryland area, please check out Colleen
http://happytaildogtraining.com/k9-nose ... %20to%20NW
She was a breeze to work with, and seemed to have a good head for working line dogs (she owns a working line GSD).
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: nosework classes in Maryland

Post by centrop67 »

That's cool - thanks for sharing.

Way to go En!
TimL_168 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm It really was eye opening for me
What were some of the unexpected things?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: nosework classes in Maryland

Post by TimL_168 »

centrop67 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm That's cool - thanks for sharing.

Way to go En!
TimL_168 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm It really was eye opening for me
What were some of the unexpected things?
Developing a focused interest. With the work I had been doing, it was something she could be 'hit or miss' on at times. She was easily distracted. Now, she can get focused on the search and is more likely to ignore some distractions. It was really just the timing and repetition coupled with making things just the right level of difficulty for each stage.
I had two real goals for the class: to develop focus/drive, and to help build some kind of alert to let me know when she's on scent. We did great with the first goal, but she's still not showing anything easy to read when she's on scent. She gets just a little more intent, but not enough for me to be comfortable calling it a positive signal.
An interesting point is that she REALLY SLOWED DOWN after just the first or second class. Previously, she'd race around all over the search area until she caught scent. Now, she's got the same interest with a little wisdom (I hope), and she's looking closer at details as she goes. She's acting a little more like my old girl now, but she maintains the search when it gets difficult.
I think a big unexpected thing for me was how well behaved she was. I've put a ton of training on her, but I know it's not enough. I was very happy to see her manners with people.
I have to admit though, I was jealous of a spastic yellow lab there that Ferrari-bulldozed through the course every single time. I loved that dog's intensity. I wish& hope I can get En to that FOCUSED intensity on a trail. It's what she loves to do, so i think I'll be able to get her there! She worked a couple times last season. I hope to get her a lot more field work this year. I'm confident that with a little more guidance for me and experience for her that we'll be a superb team.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor