Trainer suggestions in Houston area

General issues of training/education
Shadow
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have a 5.5 yo blue lacy and just got an 8mo Dutch Shepherd. The lacy is trained in tracking and we’re wanting to do the same with the Dutch as well as advanced obedience training

Trainer suggestions in Houston area

Post by Shadow »

I’m new here on the board and a little inexperienced on the search so I apologize if this subject has been covered a thousand times before. We’re looking for a good reputable trainer in the Houston area. We have a 10 week old Dutch and are working through our basics but want to get in with a trainer for our more advanced training. We’d prefer a trainer willing to meet with us once a week and give us homework for the week vs a board and train as well. We’re from the Beaumont area which is around and hour east of Houston and we don’t mind driving for the training but it’s an added issue with training.
Wesley - Beaumont
Ashley (wife) Jersey (Blue Lacy) Shadow (Dutch Shepherd)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Trainer suggestions in Houston area

Post by centrop67 »

I know you may be disappointed not to see a response here, but I guess we're lacking members from this area.

I will make a suggestion. Check out local Schutzhund or IPO clubs in your area. They usually have weekly meet UPS and other events. If you talk with some of the members, you'll probably find some good recommendations.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Shadow
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have a 5.5 yo blue lacy and just got an 8mo Dutch Shepherd. The lacy is trained in tracking and we’re wanting to do the same with the Dutch as well as advanced obedience training

Post by Shadow »

We actually got in touch with Houston K9 Academy but unfortunately due to their licensing they’re only allowed to work with law enforcement/ licensed private security. They were super helpful though and actually contacted 3 other trainers for us. They ended up getting us hooked up with a trainer in Dallas named Jordon Dearmond. We spoke over the phone and are planning a week long trip once our pup is 5-6mo old. Until then he suggested us to keep training multiple times a day like we’re currently doing and really polishing up our basics. An old friend of mine is a retired k9 handler as well and we’re meeting up with him every couple weeks for tips and training as well. We’ll looking into local clubs too though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Wesley - Beaumont
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I'm glad you found someone, but Dallas seems like a long way to go.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Shadow
Just Whelped

Post by Shadow »

Yes that’s going to be a 6hr drive for us so we may turn it into a mini vacation. We knew what we were getting into when we got this dog and this is just one of the things we’ll have to do to be certain she gets the training she deserves
Wesley - Beaumont
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Shadow wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm Yes that’s going to be a 6hr drive for us so we may turn it into a mini vacation. We knew what we were getting into when we got this dog and this is just one of the things we’ll have to do to be certain she gets the training she deserves
Amen! I wish everyone understood this!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

I'm a professional trainer and I still work my dog everyday!
emsanders
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a work from home graphic artist with three dogs. I like hiking and water sports, and would like to get into protection sports in the future.

Post by emsanders »

I know this thread is a little old, but have you looked into Tycal K9? We did an eval with them and hope to start training soon. They're in South Houston, vlose to Sugarland.
Sky - Shepherd Mix | Echo - Bully Shepherd Mix | Riley - Pomeranian
Shadow
Just Whelped

Post by Shadow »

We actually did 2 months with them. They’re an amazing trainer and I can promise you that you WILL NOT be disappointed. We only stopped going because my wife had our baby but were planning on starting to go back in the near future. Manuel and Tone are the best in the business and I can’t say enough good things about them or their facility.
Wesley - Beaumont