Structure

General issues of training/education
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Structure

Post by Marjolein »

Does this belong here??
I was wondering how you guys feel about structure in a dog's life?

-Do you feel a dog should have some sort of daily routine, like the times to eat, time to train/walk?

I tend to be very chaotic myself, and therefore we have some sort of structure, but it is never really steady. Like on a sunday, I we may sleep 'till 10:00 :oops: So they get food after we had breakfast at 11:00, instead of the workday-routine, where they get their food at 8:00.
walks: I walk when I have the time, on a working day it's the first thing I do, but on days off I may also go and do shoppings first.
Is that bad? I tend to believe that dogs, especially a breed like DS, is able to adapt to anything, and so far I haven't had any complaints :mrgreen: But would it be better to have more structure, and why?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Structure

Post by Dutchringgirl »

interesting, my guys dont have much structure for them specifically. I have structure for the kids. Thalie would sleep all day in the sun. She gets up when I get up, but Sadie wont let that go past 7am. Then they stare at me to eat. Then I throw them out. Once the kids are at school they are in and out all day. Just feeding times are set, only because they know when that is and will stare at me until I feed them. Bed time is usually set too, again because of the kids. They go hiking with me when ever I go, or run around the yard when ever I let them. They have free run in the fenced yard so they can play when they want. I dont think dogs need structure like children do.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Marjolein wrote: so far I haven't had any complaints :mrgreen: But would it be better to have more structure, and why?
Hey, if you got no complaints, why worry?

I am very similar to you...not all that structured.

I too will sleep in on weekends so Sugar gets fed when I get up, whatever time it is. Could be 7 am or 10 am, or somewhere in-between. I have no complaints from her either way. She does get 2 walks/day but it may be earlier or later on in the day depending on what I am doing that day. Again, no real complaints, except she does know that in the late afternoon/evening all the dogs in the neighbourhood are out and she gets to play at the park with them, and she looks forward to that, but exact times vary from day to day. The excitement for her starts when I say "walk" and she is much more excited on her afternoon walk.

Mine is fine with it, and it has to work for me (and you) too. I figure that if a dog (or someone) gets too used to a routine, its harder to adapt if (when) the routine needs to change for whatever reason. Nothing worse for me then a dog pacing or whining at the door because its 5:30 and its "walk time". She'll go when I decide its walk time ;)
Sue (and Sugar)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I see the RELIABILITY of "things to come" (walks, play, etc.) as important. If anything, any dog can get too OCD about a routine, especially a strict routine (whether or not DSs are prone to having more susceptibility, I don't know).

Feeding at my house: Once in the morning, once at night. Time of each fluctuates within a range, lest their internal alarm clocks begin to ring and their anxiety rises.

In general, what if schedules are strictly kept--and the unexpected occurs (decide to go to happy hour, a trip to the emergency room, etc.) and we haven't met those imposed deadlines? Certainly, that creates stress on an animal on a tight schedule.

Keep it loose, but reliable and within a range. (Unless, of course, there are medical/emotional reasons for not doing so...insulin shots, for example).

My :twocents: :P
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Sugars Mom wrote:
Marjolein wrote: so far I haven't had any complaints :mrgreen: But would it be better to have more structure, and why?
Hey, if you got no complaints, why worry?
I don't ;) Was just interested in other peoples experiences on this :)
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

We are on a schedule here. But not because of the kids or the wee bitty DS. We have cats. SIAMESE to be exact. and let me tell you, they don't put up with this "several minutes late for a meal" thing without a bit@h session.
:evil: They can scream and catterwall so that you can NOT sleep, or converse, or whatever and if you are not listening, they will turn on and mess with your computer (Shey killed my hard drive!?) or body slam your door.

So we are on a schedule, but the pups take it in stride if things are not status quo. (Now if I could only teach the cats to wake up the KIDS for feeding I could sleep an extra 10 minutes!!!)
Lauren from Western NC
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Tee-hee on the SIAMESE. I feel your "pain." Inherited one years ago...he was a pretty cool dude, though...relaxed, casual, not pushy.

DS, kids and plural Siamese--ya got some nice sedatives? :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hmm, dont see any Siamese cats in my future!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

I agree with what you wrote about DS adapting to anything, that is our experience as well. Sort of easy going, don't worry, be happy. That has everything to do with their character which is very stabil (in common) and also what they have learned in their particular situation, what they are used to. On the other hand, some routine cann't hurt ofcourse like tking them out at certian times. But a little change now and then can be good I think.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Raven wrote:DS, kids and plural Siamese--ya got some nice sedatives? :lol:

I go through a good bit of beer. :hic: :g_wink:
Lauren from Western NC
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Lauren wrote:
Raven wrote:DS, kids and plural Siamese--ya got some nice sedatives? :lol:

I go through a good bit of beer. :hic: :g_wink:
whahaa, how 'bout feeding the cats some beer :player: Matbe they will sleep in a little :lol:
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

I'm guessing that they wouldn't care to be turned into barn cats? The BIG rule here is that if you wake me up--it better be an emergency!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

alspyce wrote:I'm guessing that they wouldn't care to be turned into barn cats? The BIG rule here is that if you wake me up--it better be an emergency!
I tried to tell them that too. And overall, they listen, but..... Nico has a tactic where he sits next to the bed and just stares at me. And stares and stares. If that does not do the trick (it amost always does: you open your eyes and there is a black wolf staring you in the eye :shock: good morning!) he will give me a lick. That never fails of course, nor does the fact that I will push him away from my bedside with a "go away, scat". But then I am awake. And he will stand by the door, staring back at me. It never seems to be an emergency, BTW. Just daylight, and a good time for a drink of water and a nice little leak outside, only to come back in and snuggle back down. :tired:
I do not have much of a routine, but I suspect my dog does. (He is the only one. The rest respectfully waits until I decide)

About Siamese. I had three barn kittens just recently, one fell from the attic. The siamese was the most opinionated thing I ever encountered. Indiscourageable too. She got adopted. *phew*
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote: Nico has a tactic where he sits next to the bed and just stares at me. And stares and stares.
Arg! I hate that! They both do it here if they want their food. Sometimes I forget :oops: , we ate, clean up, phone rings blablabla... Ah! my pc, let's check e-mail....something is staring at me...it's like something is watching your every move...you don't look back, but you feel it. Stephen King uses this in most of his books... that feeling rrrrr
Anyway, it usually turns out to be just my dogs, not a pack of hungry wolves, well, in a way they are. I feed them and it's over.
vneerland wrote: About Siamese. I had three barn kittens just recently, one fell from the attic. The siamese was the most opinionated thing I ever encountered. Indiscourageable too. She got adopted. *phew*
The one that ate the snake?? :yernuts:
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I'm a big fan of being consistently inconsistent. My life is hectic and I'm always coming and going. The dogs learn to eat when the food gets put down, go out when the door opens, but not to try to live by any schedule.

I think its important to keep them guessing, personally. I think they experience much more stress when they have been conditioned to a specific schedule and then we are unable to live up to it. If they are used to variation, then their world doesn't fall apart when we can't live up to it.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:Arg! I hate that! They both do it here if they want their food. Sometimes I forget :oops: , we ate, clean up, phone rings blablabla... Ah! my pc, let's check e-mail....something is staring at me...it's like something is watching your every move...you don't look back, but you feel it. Stephen King uses this in most of his books... that feeling rrrrr
Anyway, it usually turns out to be just my dogs, not a pack of hungry wolves, well, in a way they are. I feed them and it's over.
Yup! Maybe you should not feed and ignore the reminders one night, go to bed and see if 'the stare' wakes you up, like it does me. :oops:
The one that ate the snake?? :yernuts:
No, not the snaker. That was a he (and he got adopted too, yes) but a niece (no doubt) of his. I don't have cats, mind you. Just wished the cats would agree! (Someone in the neighborhood left, leaving all animals behind, and we are mopping up the results of feral cats that reproduce like....well...feral cats?) :roll:
I found the litter when one of them fell 8 foot from the attic of my barn *plop* I went looking for more and found a total of 3, raised them in the bathroom, and off they went to adoption once they were tame. 3 down....but still a few too many to go. :cry:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image