General issues of training/education
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Excited: Thor's Aggression(s)

Post by Raven »

Had a breakthrough of sorts.

* The extent of my knowledge of his animal aggression with previous owner was: choke-chain and yanked in another direction, where Thor twisted every which way but the "other" direction, howling like a banshee and re-directing aggression to handler. (He was surrendered after someone brought a small dog over wherein Thor was crated and the visiting dog was permitted to approach/circle the crate--Thor reached his threshold and popped the crate door.)

* A number of months ago, I wondered if Thor's drive was further pushed by the prong as this is the only time he ever re-directed with me. Found out he handles differently on flat collar. Still had, however, a low threshold, but the difference in his handling was noticeable in a few different ways. (Worked with him with a weasel ball far, far away.)

* Took him to the vet about a month ago--on flat collar with leather muzzle. Vet said he was leash aggressive. (What? Okay....)

* Can't test her comment on live subjects, so I bought another--different--type of specimen with which to work with him. It walks, makes an animal sound and shakes its head fast back and forth, also up and down. Worked with him off-lead, but not at the great distance as with the other "decoy." Different dog. He still wanted it--but he was much, much calmer, and therefore, more intent on keeping his focus on me and following through with commands. Also, his threshold was a lot higher. Not kidding...he didn't just handle differently...I have to say, he was dog I'd never met before. (I'd assume that all of the other work we've been doing helped contribute to his focus/obedience, but even so, the difference between choke chain/prong/flat collar and no lead stunned me.)

Now I have to think of a way to use this knowledge.... :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Excited: Thor's Aggression(s)

Post by Dutchringgirl »

glad you had a breakthrough !!!! thats fantastic
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Seems the more freedom, the better he is...and sounds like progress continues to be made. Good for you and him :)
Sue (and Sugar)

Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

That is wonderful. Good luck with his continued progress!
Lauren from Western NC
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Oh, and a crazy thought. Why not try a harness and see if you get the best of both worlds? No leash aggression and still the control of the leash? I am a newbie, so take the idea for what it is worth... lol
Lauren from Western NC
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Hmmmm...harness...interesting. The only thing I know about harnesses is that they are designed for pulling.

I'll have to think about this. I can see a small dog in a harness....

Anyone have any input on this idea?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have a big harness that I used when I did Ring Sport with Thalie, It was to let her pull and for me to hold her ( yeah right ) while the Decoy taunted her, It was to build her up for a good bite. But the dogs knew when they were at training how to act. I have harnesses for the girls now, regular nylon ones and when I put them on Thalie dosnt switch to bite mode.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage