All Black Litter

General issues of training/education
tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

All Black Litter

Post by tedge007 »

Question for all the breeders out there...Is there such a thing as an all black DS Litter? I am curious if it is chemically possible to attempt a breeding that would result in an all black pups? I know with Dobermans breeders can arrange an all Black breeding or they can breed a certain way for a rainbow litter. Would like to know if the same could be done with DSD's. My initial thought was Impossible since I have seen breedings done with 2 all black dogs that produced mainly brindle pups. However a few people told me they heard that there are some all black litters.
- Tom Edge -
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: All Black Litter

Post by CaroleBoaz »

tedge007
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am from Long Island NY. I Currently have two dogs, a 6 year old Female Doberman and a 10 week old female Dutch Shepherd. My dutch is a mix of Van Leeuwen and LeDobry bloodlines. She is a pistol putting it lightly, she is actually "slightly flammable" and has been since we got her at 8 weeks old. She already shows tons of prey drive, Active Aggression and Social Aggression. Never have I had a pup with nearly as much spirit as her she is going to be a very serious dog.

Post by tedge007 »

thankls for the link...alot of info to take in there but i think i have my answer..
- Tom Edge -
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I think the first couple of sentences are the most important. Black being dominant. Makes it look like 2 brindles cannot make a black.

I'd be interested in hearing if any breeders ever got a black. But I have not yet seen any.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

blackpuppy wrote:I'd be interested in hearing if any breeders ever got a black. But I have not yet seen any.
If you study the link Blackpuppy posted again you will understand that two brindle dogs can never produce solid black (if they carry black, they ARE black, not brindle). But here's a funny one, if it was possible, how will you see that that black dog is a "Dutch Shepherd" and not a mali?? ;)
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

By there wooden shoes perhaps?

Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Jannumbernext wrote:By there wooden shoes perhaps?

:lmao:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Funny!
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

whaha, I have that one cut out too :D (it's a daily comic in Dutch newspaper)
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

:lol:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:If you study the link Blackpuppy posted again you will understand that two brindle dogs can never produce solid black (if they carry black, they ARE black, not brindle). But here's a funny one, if it was possible, how will you see that that black dog is a "Dutch Shepherd" and not a mali?? ;)
Let me confuse you Marjolein. Two brindles *could* produce a black, if it were a recessive black (aa) and not a dominant black (Kb) BUT: The rest of the list can disregard that remark, since there is no recessive black known in Dutch Shepherds. The solid black dogs in the KNPV genepool come from a Groenendaeler (=Belgian sheepdog) named Andor van de ijsselvloed, a KNPV champion from the 1970's. He went on to produce a good many 'black malinois' (Kb dominant black, that is) and some of those have been mislabelled as 'black dutch shepherds'. But genetically, DS's are either brindle -which cannot hide dominant black- or a recessive fawn (an oops color in the breed)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

I knew that :whistle:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

:mrgreen:
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Good discussion!
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

I have learned a lot through this discussion..... Now I am wondering why the breeder I got my pup from had a black male in another litter.... different bitch, but still. :dsangry:
Lauren from Western NC
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

But genetically, DS's are either brindle -which cannot hide dominant black- or a recessive fawn (an oops color in the breed)
So a fawn DS is an oops?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Dutchringgirl wrote:
But genetically, DS's are either brindle -which cannot hide dominant black- or a recessive fawn (an oops color in the breed)
So a fawn DS is an oops?
Yes, the color should be (any shade of) brindle.
Fawn can happen, even in the FCI population, especially the very small genepool of the longhair has had some. In the FCI short hair, fawn did not occur a whole lot anymore, but made a slight come back due to the (illegal) crossing on KNPV Dutch Shepherds. Fawn also ocurred in the rough coateds, but rarely.
The majority of fawn in the short hair must be blamed on the KNVP breeding stock. The majority of the DS's on this continent are of KNPV background so fawn is not uncommon at this side of the pond.
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Judith, again, I am sure I can speak for others here. I am so appreciative of your willingness to educate us properly on the DS genetics. I find it fascinating. Thanx!! :wtg: :hail: :cheer:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, interesting and much appreciated Judith !!

I knew one Ring Champion Fawn DS
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
DutchGirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Girl rescued in UK.

Post by DutchGirl »

So can you have a black dutch shepherd or not?