Dutchie has problems with hot weather?

Vhyran
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello there! I own a white german shepherd and a 1 year old Dutch shepherd called "Wega" He's my workind dog and I'm working in a Security Company for Events :)

Dutchie has problems with hot weather?

Post by Vhyran »

Good afternoon!

A friend of mine (Gerda) owns a short-haired female Dutchie with an interesting "problem".
The dog doesn't want to work in summertime, because of the hot weather.
In winter time, there's no problem, the dog works fine in Protection, Obedience, or other sports like Canicross.
You don't get her tired.
But when it's getting warmer like now the Dutchie doesn't want to work.
Here in Austria we have now 16-23 °C Celsius ( 61 °F to 73 °F) it's not that "really" warm, but the female Dutchies lays down after 15-20 for a break.

She is in very good condition, has a high prey drive and normally you can lure her with prey immediatelly, but in this warmer weather she doesn't react to the lure.
It's the same in Protection or Obedience, if my friend is just for fun in training or in a competition.

Does anyone have advice?

Thank you!
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Dutchie has problems with hot weather?

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I know in TX we do sudden jumps in heat (60 degrees F to 85 degrees F) in the course of 24 hours and it doesn't give my guy any time at all to adjust. He will still do it and some days flies head into heat exhaustion, but I know after 5-10 minutes of a high impact exercise I need to stop since he's not adjusted. Has your friend tried slowly acclimating her to the weather and then when working doing so in super short bursts to build up to a bit longer session? Have you tried spraying her down with water before/after she works? A little pool to lay in? Working in the shade instead? I know sometimes the difference in direct sunlight, even at 73 degrees F, can be a huge difference to a dog. She may not feel super good after working and just wants to chill (literally) but past experience has taught her there is no break so it's better to just stop working. Just some ideas.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Don't know if it translates to dogs (though I don't see why it couldn't) but in otherwise healthy, active humans there are respiratory afflictions where an environmental change, such as a rise in temp or humidity, affects performance.

My guy doesn't have known respiratory issues--however, he does not perform well in humidity (versus just hot weather). He prefers not even being outside in it.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Just like some people who cant take the hot weather, some dogs cant. Respect the dog, listen to the dog, if the dog dosnt want to work in hot weather , dont work it. If your friend can do work in the early am when its cool or in the evening, work then. These are not lazy dogs, so respect the dog.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Vhyran
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello there! I own a white german shepherd and a 1 year old Dutch shepherd called "Wega" He's my workind dog and I'm working in a Security Company for Events :)

Post by Vhyran »

Hey!

At first I want to thank you for your questions and advices.
The training ground has no shadow on it, so she has to work a normal training session in the sun or rain, snow...whatever.
Gerda ist so frustrated because all the other dogs have no problems with the heat/sun.
Even the trainer's Rottweiler, other Malinois or Dachshund seem to have no problem with it.
They don't have a pool, only a few bowls for water.

Training in cooler weather is not easy for Gerda.
She has to work since 4 in the morning and all the IPO etc. competitions are from noon to afternoon/evening on the weekends.
Gerda is a very active person and she is near crying, when her dog lays down in the middle of a competition after a few minutes and she has to quit.

I'll see her tomorrow and talk with her - thank you so much!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I understand her frustrations. Being a Horse / Dog trainer all of my life, I subscribe to the idea of respecting the animal. We humans are the ones who want to show, trial, compete etc and we impose these demands on the animals. If her dog cant take the heat, then dont trial. I have had clients who dont have the right animal for the job so instead of forcing the square into the round hole, keep it out. Bottom line, the dogs health is more important.
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i completely agree with everything that has been said.

i find that the DS that do not do well with heat are particularly sensitive to humidity. but some dogs are extraordinary heat sensitive and exercise in heat can put tremendous strains [ dangerous strains ] on their heart and lungs.

on this subject, you will find a fair amount of discussion here on the DSf, with reference to ''exercise intolerance''. there is a lot of good discussion of this with great input by some of the very most experienced and knowledgeable members of the forum; in particular, i remember Christie M - a renowned breeder and trainer - has experienced this same problem with one of her personal dogs and had dietary and other advice for helping to deal with heat/exercise intolerance. i think the most likely time period for the best/most complete discussion [ tho there were multiple discussions ] was 4Q2012 through 1Q2013.

EDIT --- just used search bar with ''exercise intolerance'' as input and found the following threads to which i was referring: ''genetic testing for medical problems'', ''projects for 2012?'', ''Leih and Geyser'', and ''Geyser update''. hope this helps.
best advice to start, as others have said, is to listen to the dog.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Vhyran
Puppy

Post by Vhyran »

Thanks!
I have talked with her a whole hour about all this big theme.
She wants a dog only for sports/competition so she is thinking about to sell the dog for a better "familiy life" and she looks around for a better dog for competition.

Maybe I will buy the pretty lady, we will see.

Thank you so much for the answers!
Sabine
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

If she really wants to compete, that would be the best for the dog. Sell her to someone who wont compete her.
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Vhyran wrote:Thanks!
I have talked with her a whole hour about all this big theme.
She wants a dog only for sports/competition so she is thinking about to sell the dog for a better "familiy life" and she looks around for a better dog for competition.

Maybe I will buy the pretty lady, we will see.

Thank you so much for the answers!
Sabine
Totally off-topic, but my daughter's name is Sabine!
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)