Biting

k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Biting

Post by k9lexi »

Dutchringgirl wrote:You are asking what to do and we have given you our advice. They are words, it is how the reader interprets the words. We write, you read.

My advice is to keep the kids away from the dog, keep the dog with you and the dog may never like to be hugged.

Some people do leave because they dont like what is said here, we say the truth, .
Assuming you are directing your post to me, I was not asking for advice. If yiu go back and read my first post in this thread you will see I was simply sharing my experience with the person who started the post. "We write, yiu read" thanks for letting me know my role. Next time I'll consider a private message. I don't have kids, as mentioned in one of my replies, so no need to keep what I don't have away from my dog. "We say the truth" From my perspective this is a forum where people share their experiences and give their opinions. Seems there are times when the opinions don't sync up, which is the truth in those cases? Perhaps your view on what truth means is different from mine.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

k9lexi wrote:
Assuming you are directing your post to me, I was not asking for advice. If yiu go back and read my first post in this thread you will see I was simply sharing my experience with the person who started the post. "We write, yiu read" thanks for letting me know my role.
You seem to be upset with my post to you then you get snarky with me?
k9lexi wrote:
Next time I'll consider a private message. I don't have kids, as mentioned in one of my replies, so no need to keep what I don't have away from my dog. "We say the truth" From my perspective this is a forum where people share their experiences and give their opinions. Seems there are times when the opinions don't sync up, which is the truth in those cases? Perhaps your view on what truth means is different from mine.
It depends what truth you speak of? There is truth then there are opinions, but with out the text, there is no way of knowing which one it is.

I was directing my post to you because you were upset.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

k9lexi wrote: "We write, yiu read" thanks for letting me know my role.
This is either being taken out of context, or misinterpreted--the latter of which was Lisa's point, I think, when she wrote "We write, you read" and also speaks to the point Kira has been mentioning (about there being no tone in the type written word).

As DS owners, we're all pretty passionate about the breed and keeping them safe and healthy, and passion can run pretty deeply...so...let's all take a breath and remember we're on the same team.

Everyone in for starting over?

(While we're on our computers slinging words around, our DSs are resting at our feet either laughing at us or wondering, 'Hey--what about me? Wasn't it about me?' :roll: )
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Yes Raven thanks for bringing it back down to what is important
Jconn
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My family just brought home an 8 week old DS puppy a week ago. So far training has been surpringly quick! I've done lots of reading about the breed while my husband was deployed & still continue to learn as much as I can! Love the breed & still am very curious about lots of the names/titles surrounding the DS names online on the breeders websites.

Post by Jconn »

I have read through posts above & they have helped tremendoysly!!! Stryker is now 6 months old, we were in a puppy class, now in obedience & he has improved so much! Still gets a little nippy with certain environments, figuring out what environments cause certain behaviors...
I think I just freaked out a little because it has been over 15 years since I've had a puppy, & sometimes feel like behavior is breed more so than age related, we will continue to go to classes both behavior, eventually agility when he's age ready & continue from there!! He is a great little boy, that continues to amaze me with quick learning! Worst issue is walking which has been improving with time & different training collars/harnesses.
Thanks again everyone!!