sneaky dog

vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: sneaky dog

Post by vneerland »

Denise, I think you need a Mother in Law trap! :mrgreen:

I have had a malinois who was very good at counter surfing. So one day, my George Forman grill was still on the counter, cooling off. It must have smelled good, because the dog went for it as soon as I walked out of the kitchen. She licked the hot griddle and it 'bit' her. She jumped off the counter (front feet) but hooked on the cord and so the grill came cashing down. Scared her spitless, so she ran into a guest room opposite the hall, in between two closets. In such a hurry that she knocked off the shelves in between the closets and he contents (just pillows) came down on her, along with the shelf itself. I found her there, shivering in total mysery and she could not understand why I was not mad, but laughing hysterically instead.
Would you believe that she never ever touched the counter again? Not even if you had a raw dripping steak up there! :g_wink:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

That poor dog!!!! I could just picture the chaos, and I do believe she would never touch the counter, i wouldnt either after a scare like that.
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Want to emphasize that Denise wrote "THE SMALLEST OF MOUSE TRAPS...."

Didn't know they came in sizes. How many people know that? Am I the only one? (Probably.) Guy walks into a store and says, "Give me a bunch'a your smallest mouse traps" and the clerk brings out a trap that's the equivilent to a 2x4. Yep. "This here's the smallest one we carry."

Counter surfer.... :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:Denise, I think you need a Mother in Law trap! :mrgreen:

I have had a malinois who was very good at counter surfing. So one day, my George Forman grill was still on the counter, cooling off. It must have smelled good, because the dog went for it as soon as I walked out of the kitchen. She licked the hot griddle and it 'bit' her. She jumped off the counter (front feet) but hooked on the cord and so the grill came cashing down. Scared her spitless, so she ran into a guest room opposite the hall, in between two closets. In such a hurry that she knocked off the shelves in between the closets and he contents (just pillows) came down on her, along with the shelf itself. I found her there, shivering in total mysery and she could not understand why I was not mad, but laughing hysterically instead.
Would you believe that she never ever touched the counter again? Not even if you had a raw dripping steak up there! :g_wink:
whahahahaaa :lol: :lol: :lol:
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

GSDNanny wrote: Needless to say, she wont eat at my house anymore! :D :yeah:
Oh, man, what a great unintended consequence! :wtg:

Judith...such a funny story! I could see the whole thing...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

leih merigian wrote:
GSDNanny wrote: Needless to say, she wont eat at my house anymore! :D :yeah:
Oh, man, what a great unintended consequence! :wtg:

Judith...such a funny story! I could see the whole thing...
You are so right!! Made 35 years married (to the same man by the way!) this past Sunday and if I had ONLY known back then what it would have taken to accomplish this unintended consequence back then!!

Now Judith, I could just see that happening and I the puzzled expression on the dogs face like, "What is so funny Mom; scared me to death!" Wish you had a video of all that.

And people wonder why we love our dogs so much - heck, they make us laugh and smile!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Raven wrote:Want to emphasize that Denise wrote "THE SMALLEST OF MOUSE TRAPS...."

Didn't know they came in sizes. How many people know that? Am I the only one? (Probably.) Guy walks into a store and says, "Give me a bunch'a your smallest mouse traps" and the clerk brings out a trap that's the equivilent to a 2x4. Yep. "This here's the smallest one we carry."

Counter surfer.... :lol:
Yeh, I reckon some folks have bigger mice than others! I like the little ones because you can buy them cheap at the dollar stores, set out a dozen of them increasing the odds they will domino in sound impact plus the dogs dont get hurt, just scared. More bang for your buck (so to speak!)

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

vneerland wrote:Denise, I think you need a Mother in Law trap! :mrgreen:

With YEARS of planning, I could not ever set up such a wonderful situation to keep Willow off of the counters. She is smart and sneaky. She walks around, mapping the room with a bone in her mouth. Then, just when you walk out of the room or the music rises on the TV because a HUGE scene is coming....then she sneaks in. If only I could make the George Forman bite her and chase her away!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Happy anniversary, Denise! 35 years is quite an accomplishment!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

k9katet wrote:Happy anniversary, Denise! 35 years is quite an accomplishment!
DITTO Denise!!!! :wtg: :wtg: :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
GSDNanny
Training Dog

Post by GSDNanny »

leih merigian wrote:
k9katet wrote:Happy anniversary, Denise! 35 years is quite an accomplishment!
DITTO Denise!!!! :wtg: :wtg: :wtg:
Thank you both!!

dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

wow 35 years!!! Good for you guys!!

Thalis is sooooo quiet when she counter surfs, I have no idea untill I see the empty wrappers on the ground
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
steph90
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi

Post by steph90 »

Well.. thank you all for the great suggestions. Sorry it took so long for that but my house was under some serious renovation for over a month and I FINALLY got my internet hooked up again. Despite the madness I've been dealing with here I do have good news. Thanks to the construction workers, their loud music and therefor Cody's inability to hear my car pulling up and my front door opening- I was able to catch him every day consecutively until he finally gave up on sleeping on my bed. Whew :wtg:
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

well done! problem solved :)
Cooper
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch Shepherd

Post by Cooper »

Sneaky Dog... My dog has the skills of a "ninja". She's not allowed to sleep in the bed but some how she gets up. I'll go to sleep and while I'm sleeping she will get on the bed and be in the corner of the mattress curled up like a pretzel trying not to be notcied. I'll kick her off and then 3,4 am I'll wake up with terrible leg cramps because she is sleeping on my legs and they have gone numb..

She is a Sneaky-Dirty-Little-Ninja !
Pass the dutchie, on the left handside !

Cooper..Is my lastname
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

Very good, thanks to the workmen and your determanation to stop this beaviour, many people are not that determined and choose for the soft approach allowing their dogs to behave in a way they rather not want them to do.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

It's so funny reading all these. :D

My Malinois is a counter surfer, just last weekend she snagged a whole stick of butter. I thought it would be safe on top of the microwave, because I knew it wouldn't be safe on the counter.

Once I tried putting a mousetrap on the counter in front of some food. She wouldn't go near it. Smart dog. So, I guess the solution is to just leave the mouse traps on the counter all the time.

I also find my dogs like to find something that smells like me to sleep with while I'm at work. I used to come home to find one of my shoes on the dogs bed.

And I'll never forget the morning I had forgotten something and walked in to find my old guy, Doerak, curled up on my recliner. He's the guy with all the health problems, so I cut him a lot of slack.

Ah , the memories!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I should try mouse traps, Ive lost many sticks of butter to Sadie. She has now (sort of) mastered stealth.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage