Teaching an Out to a Stubborn dog

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Teaching an Out to a Stubborn dog

Post by centrop67 »

The Collared Scholar comes to the rescue...

Click Here for the full article.
The Collared Scholar wrote:Not only do his smarts take a back seat to his intensity, he loves those toys so darn much, he doesn’t want to let them go. When he first came to me at just over a year old, he could regularly be found toy hoarding, protecting his treasures with his entire body, and at times becoming aggressive if someone tried to take what was his.

With this particular dog, as you can probably imagine, teaching the “OUT” was a tricky endeavor. It required a bit of creativity, and still, to this day, requires a whole lot of persistence to get right. Just as I’d overcome one hurdle, it seemed another would pop up, stopping me dead in my tracks.

Now, I’m not going to lie and tell you I’ve got it all figured out with my dog. He’s still a work in progress. It’s taking a small army to reign in the beast. But I will tell you that he is a completely different dog from when I first got him a few months back. He’s gone from having no “OUT” and guarding his treasures, to bringing the toy back consistently, wanting to play WITH ME, and letting it go when asked.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Teaching an Out to a Stubborn dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I need to read how to do this. My stinker runs away when she has something I want her to drop. Out (Aus) is still new. I give her that, but the run and chase is not fun.. 😫 Sometimes it's a small pebble/rock. I don't run after her, she just takes off like a popped cork when I get near her. I try to get her interested in a treat or toy. Nope. She knows what I want and she won't give it up. I don't want her to swallow or chew that darn stone and she don't care.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

At least I don't have dead smelly frogs for her to chew on. At least not yet.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 am I need to read how to do this. My stinker runs away when she has something I want her to drop. Out (Aus) is still new.
if bshe is not on a long line any more, and out is an issue, put a short lead on her. onw about two fists in length. if she does not out grab it as to not let her get away from you. if she wont out, have something of higher value to give her.

Joxgirl wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 am I give her that, but the run and chase is not fun.. 😫 Sometimes it's a small pebble/rock. I don't run after her, she just takes off like a popped cork when I get near her. I try to get her interested in a treat or toy. Nope. She knows what I want and she won't give it up. I don't want her to swallow or chew that darn stone and she don't care.
you can put your hand on her top muzzle and put your fingers in her mouth to pry open. its good to familiarize her too with allowing you to open her mouth at any time.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En still grumbles at the overhand pry, but she opens up
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:31 pm En still grumbles at the overhand pry, but she opens up
oh they wont like it but it works
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage