Inter Dog aggression?

Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Inter Dog aggression?

Post by Wes Thomas »

Happy Easter guys! So yesterday we were having a small get together/party with about twenty people over. All outside with about 10 kids running and playing. Karma, of course, was persistently aggravating every guest with non stop games of fetch. She was having such a good time until, out of the blue for some reason one of the neighbors kids, knowing how protective Karma is, brought his male Rottweiler into the middle of everyone. Without a warning bark or anything Karma explodes into him and proceeds to tear into him and begin to put on a pretty good butt kicking on him. Of course he is fully into the fight as well at this point but without a leash on either dog there was little that could be done. Luckily Karma had her shock collar on and as soon as the fight rolled across the line she immediately stopped and heeled back to my side. All in all it could've been much worse however embarrassing it was for me.
My question is is anyone else having problems like this? I see a lot of other post on here and it seems like everyone's dogs are dog friendly. I got Karma at 6 months and she was around numerous other dogs her entire life before me so it isn't like she wasnt socialized... This has gotten worse and worse where anytime I go out I hafta keep her far away from other dogs. She will ignore other animals completely but as soon as they try to interact with her she instantly tries to attack.
My trainer says this is perfectly normal for working dogs but I just have a hard time believing it. She has a PH1 female malinois and says she does the same thing as Karma. She will obey any command she gives her but as soon as another dog is around she will not listen at all and attacks the other dog. Karma is almost 2 years old now. I'm afraid this behavior maybe genetic but just trying to get more than one opinion? Any thoughts or opinions?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Inter Dog aggression?

Post by centrop67 »

Wes Thomas wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:09 pm out of the blue for some reason one of the neighbors kids, knowing how protective Karma is, brought his male Rottweiler into the middle of everyone.
Radar does not like other dogs period. We have to be hyper-vigilant to make sure Radar is under our control, and there has been a couple of loose dog incidents on walks.

I believe this protection mode is bred into these dogs, so we have to adjust to keep them safe.

Take a look at some of the Similar Topics replies below.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there is never " out of the blue". there is a huge misunderstanding with this breed. Mostly because many people, mostly on FB have either mixes or just some brindle dog that they think is a DS, so when it is all sweet and fuzzy, they think " oh look, Dutch Shepherds are such great dogs"

Now, I am not saying that you do not know what you have or what they are, but this is what goes on in the world of FB and a dog that is brindle.

these dogs are not social by nature, just because they may get along with dogs sometimes does not mean they are cute and fuzzy all of the time. They are protection dogs first and foremost. That kid brought a rotweiller into the mix, and you had no idea and Karma just did her job. It was not up to the kid to realize what Karma is and not bring the dog. Kids can be as stupid as anything.

My Thalie, who has had tons of professional training, and very sweet, I would not trust in that situation, Sadie............ HAHA not on your life. This is why no one comes to my house.

As they grow up they will develop more and more of the protection mode. its not getting worse, that is a human idea, this is their job, to protect you. They do not know when, how , why, that is for you to dictate.

They are not party dogs, now, my Basset, haha yes, but even still, I would always keep an eye out.

We never had the dogs playing with other dogs, its not who they are. They are meant to protect you, bottom line. I agree with your trainer.

We used to teach them to ignore everything, and they would. Before I knew other places to take Thalie in my town, I would go to the dog park ( I hate them) But I could walk Thalie, no leash, velcro to my leg, through a pack of playful stupid dogs, she would not leave my side, not look at them, but if one of them put their paw on her to play, look out.

One day in a quiet park, I was walking my three, Sadie , Thalie and my basset, Thalie was walking, minding her own business, Mind you, now, she is hard of hearing and sight at 16, and a dog came up behind her and startled her and she turned and snapped.

I would not have Karma in that situation again unless she will be at your leg 100% of the time, or put her up somewhere.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:27 pm
I would not have Karma in that situation again unless she will be at your leg 100% of the time, or put her up somewhere.
You are right about not putting Karma in the situation again. 100% my fault for having her off leash but being on my property I felt comfortable. Looking back it I was setting myself up for an incident. The neighbor which is 14 year old had been told along with his parents numerous times to never come near my house without me accompanying them because Karma was a working protection dog. But obviously I never thought about him bringing his dog over. So again that's my responsibility as the dog owner and my fault. I never want anyone's dog or mine to get hurt of course.
Lesson learned on my behalf. She's always on a leash at the dog park or out in public so this kind of thing can't happen but I was complacent at home. But I guess my overall question was just how common this behavior was with other Dutchies. And it sounds like it is a common trait. I knew they can be people aggressive but not so much animal aggressive. I guess protection is protection to them. No discrimination
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would err on the side of caution and say this is the breed. They are protection dogs, this is what they are supposed to do.

Right, no discrimination.

It would be more so with other animals since they all think that the grass they stand on belongs to them.
the Rottweiler was protecting the kid, and Karma was protecting you, bad situation. Dogs are the perfect Narcissist.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

En is outwardly protective. Most dogs and shady looking people set her to focused hate.
Remember that training and desensitization are ongoing lessons. En was doing pretty well a few months ago when weather was warmer and we saw more people& dogs out and about. Now, a few months later, she's a stiff board full of teeth on the end of the leash again.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Wes Thomas
Green Dog

Post by Wes Thomas »

Thank you guys for the advice and opinions.. I feel a little better now about the situation. I just didn't kow if it was a common occurrence. I still wouldn't trade her or the breed for any other breed in the world
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Wes Thomas wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:46 am Thank you guys for the advice and opinions.. I feel a little better now about the situation. I just didn't kow if it was a common occurrence. I still wouldn't trade her or the breed for any other breed in the world
Nor would I. No matter how much :pint: :pint: :pint: I would never trade Sadie for anything. Its a life style,
I knew when I got into this breed what I was getting into and its ok with me. I cant do some things but its worth it just to have them.

I do have to say though, Having a Basset hound is like a breath of fresh air. When I move, she still sleeps, when I cough, she still sleeps, when I go to the other room, she still sleeps, when someone comes up the driveway, she still sleeps.
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

We shouldn’t have to make apologies for these dogs when they do what they do. If they were running rampant, that would be wrong. In my option the Rottie should not have been brought over, esp off leash. He does what he does as does the DS.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG