New ds owner.. behavioral problems or normal

Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Re: New ds owner.. behavioral problems or normal

Post by Wes Thomas »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:05 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:30 pm :lol: Perfect, I have an excuse why my house will never be perfect again. No time to clean. Have to go train.
And a good reason to :pint:
there is always a good reason to :pint: :pint: :pint:
I second that motion... I'm not sure a reason is even needed.. I only :pint: on the days that end with the letter Y though.. luckily Friday ends in Y
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Hahahaha.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

spartan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 pm Cod liver oil helps with anxiety , also helps numerous problems
Clean , natural
I buy Mollers trans , helps to keep you fresh omega 3 , vitamins A D E
www.mollers.no
Norway has some of the strictest food safety laws in the world
Top product , been on the market since 1854
can you show me where you got your info about CLO helping with anxiety, I have never come across that info. Also you want CLO with out D , any thing with added D is not good, The added D is a hormone
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm
spartan wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:57 pm Cod liver oil helps with anxiety , also helps numerous problems
Clean , natural
I buy Mollers trans , helps to keep you fresh omega 3 , vitamins A D E
www.mollers.no
Norway has some of the strictest food safety laws in the world
Top product , been on the market since 1854
Since when do dogs have anxiety? That's anthropomorphizing an animal... what people call anxiety can be explained by the dogs behavior, drives and experiences

can you show me where you got your info about CLO helping with anxiety, I have never come across that info. Also you want CLO with out D , any thing with added D is not good, The added D is a hormone
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Joxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 pm From what I read in this forum, going back to basics is kinda routine. Is that right?
When you released her from the down stay how did you do it?
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:13 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:50 pm From what I read in this forum, going back to basics is kinda routine. Is that right?
I tell her to sit, give her another treat or say good and pay on head and sometimes toss the ball.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm
I tell her to sit, give her another treat or say good and pay on head and sometimes toss the ball.
Do you make her sit for a bit after she sits?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

spartan wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:37 pm @ Steve goss
What do you feed ?
Raw
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:43 pm
Joxgirl wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm

Do you make her sit for a bit after she sits?
Sounds like she's thinking shes gonna be released so shes anticipating.... try heeling away from the down stay and then rewarding from the heel to break up the routine...
Cummins98
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Glenn and I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup and her name is Lieke.

Post by Cummins98 »

I am also interested in your location, I think we may have gotten our pups from the same guy.
MckennaV_90265
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to Dutch Shepherds, previous experience with Malinois.

Post by MckennaV_90265 »

Sounds pretty normal for the breed unfortunately, our five month old, Ridge, is still very mouthy. I'm still learning that this breed is a whole different type of dog. They are first and foremost protection dogs, they bond with their family but I wouldn't consider them stranger friendly dogs. It sounds like you need to establish who in alpha with this new pup. Check out Leerburg.com for info on how to do this with puppies, they have some great info that has helped us out a lot! Aggressive behavior towards you or your husband should NEVER be tolerated. The third day we had Ridge, I went to take his food bowl away and he growled at me... not super proud of how I reacted but needless to say, he learned who the real boss was that day, haven't had any issues with dominance or aggression towards me or my fiancé since then. Everyone is right, find a trainer who has experience with Dutchies or Mals.. they aren't normal dogs and your average trainer won't know what to do with them.
MckennaV