Marking territory ???

MckennaV_90265
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to Dutch Shepherds, previous experience with Malinois.

Marking territory ???

Post by MckennaV_90265 »

Ridge is a 6 month old, intact, pure Dutch and has been 100% potty trained since he was 3 months... up until Sunday that is. Lately I've been noticing signs of sexual maturity, attempting to mount other dogs ( usually altered males) ... no biggie, but on Sunday we were babysitting our in-laws labrador and pit mix and while Ridge was outside on a potty break the older labs jumped onto our bed to take a nap, the younger altered male rolled around on the bed, wiped his snotty nose everywhere and dug around in the comforter, the pit mix did the same. I didn't think anything of it. Later that day when the other dogs left, Ridge jumps onto the bed, sniffs around, lifts his leg, and pees right where the male lab was sleeping earlier that day. He was punished and sent to his crate knowing his mistake. Tonight when my husband got home, took his nasty work jeans off and left them in a pile on the floor. Ridge went over, sniffed them, and peed on them. Turns out hubby had been giving pets and cuddles to the next-door altered male lab. Anyone have any experience with maturing little boy dutchies and peeing when supposedly potty trained? Does this sound like territory marking? Typical of a maturing male? That's what I'm thinking but wanted to reach out to y'all anyways. We're back to square 1, reminding Ridge that I am the pack leaders and this is my house,my territory, not his. No more free roaming inside, no more access to MY bed.
MckennaV
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Marking territory ???

Post by Dutchringgirl »

yes, it is marking
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage