Nervous humping???

ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Nervous humping???

Post by ksylz »

Otto came into the pack yesterday. He is a two-year-old DS just neutered. He met the other two dogs a 14-year-old boxer shepherd mix male and a two-year-old coon hound lab shepherd mix female, two cats also. He could care less about the cats other than sniffing them and the female dog. However he is completely totally obsessed with the older dog. The older dog is boss man no doubt he can back up Otto with a look ( old man’s still got it) Otto wants to be with him, smell him, sniff him in all the wrong places. If we’re all out in the yard together he will not even concentrate enough to do his business(Otto has a harness on and I will be getting a martingale collar) because he so concerned where the older dog is. Granted I haven’t even had him 24 hours yet but he’s so obsessed he’s not listening to me we’ve finally gotten sit and wait. I’ve tried to direct him away with saying NO, that kind of works and trying to give him a toy to play with to redirect, he wants nothing to do with the toy. Any helpful hints or tips or guidance you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. He supposedly has had training I think he’s just so obsessed and nervous he can’t concentrate.
Thanks! :)
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Nervous humping???

Post by centrop67 »

This breed has often been described as single-owner and not so much "pack" focused. That's a generalization, but it may be part of what's going on here.

I've seen other posts where the recommendation is to have the dog on the leash with you at all times until it is trustworthy. In this situation, it might help you get Otto to be focused on you and not other obsessions.

I think you're right to be concerned about this behavior, and I fear that at some point the obsession will turn into a challenge that might find one or both dogs injured (or worse).

On the flip side, a big correction from the boss man may be all that is needed to fix the problem, but it's a risky approach. It's probably best to keep them separated until Otto has bonded with you.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

it sounds like he is nervous. Keep him on a leash so you have control and give him some time to get used to his new digs. Dont baby talk him but dont let him get away with stuff either. the humping is also a dominance thing. Keep him with you, show him the ropes.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

Thank you ! The older dog showed him who’s boss! Just took a day or two! I love the leash idea!
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx