Teaching how to play with other dogs

Kanoble88
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We just rescued a 3.5 y/o Dutch shepherd, looking for some training help!

Teaching how to play with other dogs

Post by Kanoble88 »

Hello!

I am back again looking for some more advice about our recently rescued 3.5 y/o DS. We are still in the process of getting him and our resident dog used to each other, so we have been letting them play a little bit at a time (usually no more than 30 seconds). I have noticed that he seems to be getting more aggressive with her in terms of biting the back of her neck, and the front of her collar. I had to pull him off of her the other day because he bit down on her collar; I started taking it off after that. But when they play it seems all he wants to do is go for the back of her neck.

I don't think it is due to not being exercised enough however because they both go to daycare a few times a week and he goes to obedience training a few times a week as well.

Thank you for your help
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Teaching how to play with other dogs

Post by Dutchringgirl »

well...... these are not typically social creatures like my basset hound who loves every one. They are solitary protection dogs that bond to one human and thats usually it. You may be able to have him be tolerable of others but may never have them be able to play freely with them. Going for the back of the neck and putting the paw on the back or anything where he is higher or on top of another dog is a dominance gesture. Dont allow it.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Kanoble88
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We just rescued a 3.5 y/o Dutch shepherd, looking for some training help!

Re: Teaching how to play with other dogs

Post by Kanoble88 »

Thank you! He doesn't seem to act like the protective type right now. He seems very sporadic and puppy like, and very lovable and forceful when attempting to get attention. Most likely from being at the dog mill and whatever his previous situation was. We are actively trying to integrate him into all of the activities we do daily. I appreciate your help