A lesson in Learning Theory

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: A lesson in Learning Theory

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

If a pack of wolves encounters a bear that has cubs and shes pissed and they have to fight and one pack member shows fear and cowers the rest of the pack is not stopping to comfort that animal
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

when Sadie is shaking and cowering in the corner of the couch, neither of my other dogs went to go to her.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm when Sadie is shaking and cowering in the corner of the couch, neither of my other dogs went to go to her.
That's because they are assholes and should be comforting her lmao
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm when Sadie is shaking and cowering in the corner of the couch, neither of my other dogs went to go to her.
That's because they are assholes and should be comforting her lmao
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:15 pm they do have emotion, that is not the discussion. Sadie smiles, they love to get attention etc. It is when they are showing fear and we tell them that its okay. That petting them and telling them that 'its ok" really lets them know its okay and not to be afraid , or , that it reinforces the fear response.
I understand the logic and the reasoning. I agree. I think it makes sense to let the dog know that it, itself is going to be ok. And I think you do that best by focusing on you and redirecting.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm If a pack of wolves encounters a bear that has cubs and shes pissed and they have to fight and one pack member shows fear and cowers the rest of the pack is not stopping to comfort that animal
Duh.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:03 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:15 pm they do have emotion, that is not the discussion. Sadie smiles, they love to get attention etc. It is when they are showing fear and we tell them that its okay. That petting them and telling them that 'its ok" really lets them know its okay and not to be afraid , or , that it reinforces the fear response.
I understand the logic and the reasoning. I agree. I think it makes sense to let the dog know that it, itself is going to be ok. And I think you do that best by focusing on you and redirecting.
yes, the redirecting is what we were saying will work, telling them it will be okay, tells them that the fear response is ok, not that "it is going to be ok"
ImageImage