Handler's Anxiety effecting Dog Negatively

dogmominco
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Rescued an "australian shepherd" that turned out to be a dutchie! 14 month old fixed male.

Handler's Anxiety effecting Dog Negatively

Post by dogmominco »

Hi! So, I have general anxiety which unfortunately is putting my (14mo) pup and I into a negative feedback loop. He has some ongoing behavior issues that are being professionally addressed of resource guarding and hyper vigilance. He really struggles when we have company. He is feeding off my own anxiety which can't be controlled (argh) which is exacerbating his symptoms and instincts.

I'm looking for any suggestions or experiences of others who may suffer with anxiety or have trained emotional support dogs. I'd love to find a way to help give him strategies to 'help' me when I'm anxious instead of getting more excited/aroused/anxious himself.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! Mental health problems really suck and it makes me feel terrible tI'm
I'm bringing out the negatives in him.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Handler's Anxiety effecting Dog Negatively

Post by TimL_168 »

Go see a professional trainer with the goal of teaching you more than just teaching the dog. Once you have that knowledge and confidence to guide your dog, you'll be in a better path.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Agree with Tim and this trainer better be top notch, This breed, as tough as they are, are VERY sensitive !! My (RIP) Thalie was super brave and awesome but when I got upset, oh she got so upset too. And my Sadie, will to. You both need a ton of work if he is going to stay with you.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I think as you approach training, you will need to have an honest conversation with the trainer about what clinical anxiety is. Much of training is training the owner. Part of the process will be "don't be anxious, be calm", which is a challenge even when a person does not suffer anxiety.

I would talk not just the trainer, but also you provider. The provider maybe able help prepare for the known stressors of training.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Have you tried CBD? And obviously the other form? That's how I keep my anxiety in check
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: ↑Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 pm Have you tried CBD? And obviously the other form? That's how I keep my anxiety in check
Your anxiety or the dog or both :eek:

I have Sadie on it because her hips seem to be bothering her more and I do see that she is calmer, the "edge" isnt there is some situations.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

A little for doggy and a little for me! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: ↑Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:01 pm A little for doggy and a little for me! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:
ImageImage