Air snapping

Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Air snapping

Post by Jay knowles »

When excited Pepsi seems to do a lot of snapping at thin air until excitement subsides a bit, mainly at the start of walks etc, anyone else having this problem and if so is there a cure or do they grow out of it . Jay
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Air snapping

Post by Tim91118 »

What do you do on your end when she starts ?
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Is there a cure ? LOL. Remember, when a dog does something they are trying to communicate with you. A cure implies that something is wrong, that is a human thing. The dog is not doing anything wrong. try to look at the trigger, what is it? what is happening just before Pepsi starts? Find out what she is trying to tell you.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

The start of it is just pure excitement mainly at the start of walks and when she wants to go in the garden late at night to do her garden patrol at very high speed. It’s almost like a frustration thing. When she does it I generally just try and ignore it and carry on. If I gave her a ball on the walk that would stop it and that’s what she wants. I do some training and a walk generally off the lead so she can have a good sniff about etc on her own, not involving ball play until the end as a treat for doing the other things first. Even when training she is air biting as if she is frustrated or maybe she’s enjoying it who knows. Hope this helps a bit. Jay
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Each one of us has our own unique challenges.
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie used to do the same thing, when it was time to go she would get soooooo excited !! With mine it's frustration at wanting to go and so happy. Its like kids who are happy to go on vacation but arent going quite yet, they have the excitement energy and have to do something with it. they are'nt doing anything wrong, just have energy that must be expelled.
ImageImage
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

I find that you can build excitement and frustration, and you can curb it as well.
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tim91118 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:48 pm I find that you can build excitement and frustration, and you can curb it as well.
Yes, you can desensitize. they get so in tune to your actions, if putting shoes on gets them excited to go out, put your shoes on and off and dont go anywhere, pick up the leash and put it down, or pick it up and walk around and put it down, and do not pay any attention to the dog. Or, put them in a down and walk up to them and walk away and they can not get up.
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

So basically they are proper sods. I keep trying to think back to how hard my Bull Terrier was and the one before this. They were both really difficult and you forget how bad they were. I’m pretty sure given time all will be well. Jay
Last edited by Jay knowles on Thu May 02, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I would actually use that to your advantage rather than something you’d want to “cure”. It sounds to me just like classic jaw snapping that shepherd breeds do. Pepsi is eager to do whatever it is she thinks is coming next. Take that ball out let her get excited and then give her your heel command. You’ll find her focus on you will be intensified. Then reward with the ball. It’s engagement. How to teach focus heel. That’s just her showing her drive and desire to do something. Gotta take advantage of that stuff man. You’ll often see people tease their dogs with a toy and then hide it behind their back and make the dog bark a few times at them before going into heel. Same thing. It’s literally them saying “Hey man! Give me that dang ball you’ve got there! I want it!” And then when you give them command they’re like “oh ok this is what I’ve got to do to get dis ball”
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

borellar15 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm I would actually use that to your advantage rather than something you’d want to “cure”. It sounds to me just like classic jaw snapping that shepherd breeds do. Pepsi is eager to do whatever it is she thinks is coming next. Take that ball out let her get excited and then give her your heel command. You’ll find her focus on you will be intensified. Then reward with the ball. It’s engagement. How to teach focus heel. That’s just her showing her drive and desire to do something. Gotta take advantage of that stuff man. You’ll often see people tease their dogs with a toy and then hide it behind their back and make the dog bark a few times at them before going into heel. Same thing. It’s literally them saying “Hey man! Give me that dang ball you’ve got there! I want it!” And then when you give them command they’re like “oh ok this is what I’ve got to do to get dis ball”
It’s just frustrating when you try to focus her on a task and you know all she wants to really do is chase a tennis ball. Jay
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Will your dog release the tennis ball to your hand ?
Tim
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

Tim91118 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 pm Will your dog release the tennis ball to your hand ?
Not to my hand but if I say leave she will place it on the floor for me to pick up. Jay
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Jay knowles wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:43 pm
borellar15 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm I would actually use that to your advantage rather than something you’d want to “cure”. It sounds to me just like classic jaw snapping that shepherd breeds do. Pepsi is eager to do whatever it is she thinks is coming next. Take that ball out let her get excited and then give her your heel command. You’ll find her focus on you will be intensified. Then reward with the ball. It’s engagement. How to teach focus heel. That’s just her showing her drive and desire to do something. Gotta take advantage of that stuff man. You’ll often see people tease their dogs with a toy and then hide it behind their back and make the dog bark a few times at them before going into heel. Same thing. It’s literally them saying “Hey man! Give me that dang ball you’ve got there! I want it!” And then when you give them command they’re like “oh ok this is what I’ve got to do to get dis ball”
It’s just frustrating when you try to focus her on a task and you know all she wants to really do is chase a tennis ball. Jay
put her on a leash and do some training. Go watch some Leerburg videos.
ImageImage
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

When ever she does her snapping she always goes back on the lead and has to walk for a bit to get her back under control. I will say as soon as I call her back she is happy to sit and go back on the lead. Time will tell if all this works out ok as generally she is well behaved . Jay
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

What Lisa and borellar said!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Hoho, my puppy snaps air when he is frustrated. Often when he watches me leaving without him. I ignore it completely and its been lessened.

Also does it if i dont wake up To alarmclock, he sits, waits, sits, and then starts To nip the air. I see its normal.
Jay knowles
Training Dog

Post by Jay knowles »

Just a bit of an update. Pepsi still does this air snapping but not to the same level as when she was young. Pepsi is fast approaching 16 months old and we pretty much ignore it now, so I guess all is well and not really anything to worry about. Jay
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Yea, we had this.

It goes down with exescise and right time great.

My dog was wery bad, air nipping goes To biting handler.
That went away simple: no food at mornin, food comes from handler.
Simple is that