Body Language

gijs
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi,
Our family consists of my wife, two children (girl almost 7, boy 4.5), two cats, 4 chickens and me. My wife had dogs most of her life, but for me this is my first dog. Kiki is a female Dutchie that we got from a breeder that breeds DS for families. As in, slightly lower drive and slightly more tolerant around kids. We requested the puppy from the litter that was available with the lowest drive and the friendliest demeanor.

We only let Kiki near the children under strict supervision and have the help of a dog trainer who is specialized in working dogs and has had DS dogs himself for many years and is currently the owner of a DS that he competes with in several disciplines.

I'm sure we'll have many challenges and joining this forum is surely a wealth of helpful information and guidance.

Body Language

Post by gijs »

Dear Forum,
New to having a DS and new to the forum.
Our 11 week old DS puppy Kiki is doing well and we're training her with the help of an experienced dog trainer. I have a general body language question. When Kiki runs ahead of me on the leash during the less structured part of our "training / exercise" time, she has her tail up and her ears pinned against her head. What is she trying to tell me? I've checked the general body language graphics that are available online, but this one seemed to be missing. She's not nipping or barking or growling, just happily running along. She's in front of me, no tension on the leash (harness, no collar) and when she's running next to me or behind me, her ears are not pinned back.
Maybe irrelevant information, but just in case, her ears are still somewhat floppy.
Thanks,
Gijs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Body Language

Post by Tim91118 »

She could be feeling less secure. Pups want and need to be close to the one taking care of them. It is part of their pack instincts. When out front, she is being a little more independent and could be feeling a little uneasy. This is nothing to worry about imo.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble does that body posture when she greets "family" or is seeking snuggles. Her body is relaxed, her tail in a happy place, but her ears down and back though I will say not "pinned" back. Relaxed generally means, "I'm off work and with my humans." But ears tensely held to side of her head and back tense usually means the kid is going to wake up in a bad mood and we are all in for a rough day.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
gijs
Just Whelped
Our family consists of my wife, two children (girl almost 7, boy 4.5), two cats, 4 chickens and me. My wife had dogs most of her life, but for me this is my first dog. Kiki is a female Dutchie that we got from a breeder that breeds DS for families. As in, slightly lower drive and slightly more tolerant around kids. We requested the puppy from the litter that was available with the lowest drive and the friendliest demeanor.

We only let Kiki near the children under strict supervision and have the help of a dog trainer who is specialized in working dogs and has had DS dogs himself for many years and is currently the owner of a DS that he competes with in several disciplines.

I'm sure we'll have many challenges and joining this forum is surely a wealth of helpful information and guidance.

Post by gijs »

Thank you for the replies! I will keep you posted if there is any change / development. I realize "pinned back" was not an accurate description, it's more laying back than pinned back. The puzzling thing for me is the combination with the straight up tail, but relaxed body. I don't think it's something to worry about, more curious about what she's trying to communicate.
gijs
Just Whelped

Post by gijs »

Hi Forum,
Kiki puts her paw on my foot when she's standing next to me. Does this mean anything, or am I overthinking this? Please let me know.
Thanks,
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

For the most part, I wouldn't think much of it since she is young....but in a very rare instance, it was one of the signs we saw in my Dalmatian's neurologic deterioration. She would just stand on feet, the other dogs, random items as she couldn't feel where she had her feet. Gotcha had suffered head trauma in the raid that lead to her being taken to the rescue.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

I look at it as more of a way to get your attention for play.
Tim
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I'm with the other Tim. If she's doing it with any consistency, it's likely that she picked up on something positive that happens when she does that
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
gijs
Just Whelped

Post by gijs »

Thanks for the replies again! Paw on foot is probably nothing. I was just wandering if she was trying to establish dominance or something like that.

Regarding the ears back and tail up situation: I now think it might just be the floppy puppy ears. One of her ears is now up and that one stays up while running:)