Crap

icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Crap

Post by icvanstra »

Crap, poop, shit, feces ...

You name it... I've got it. In my house. Thankfully it is well formed and easy to clean up.

Started a while back and I thought it was Abigail doing it. Talked to the vet and they were thinking her leg injury was preventing her from wanting to go when she was outside.

Two friends watched the dogs for me when I was at a conference a couple of weeks ago. The couple watching Abigail had no problems. But, the friend watching Cino was not very happy with me or Cino!

He doesn't have a fenced yard and walks his dog numerous times a day. He said Cino had no problem figuring out that the had to take of business when he was on the walks. Then they would get back and he would run to the back bedroom and poop in the house. Or in the middle of the night he would do it.

Since I came home from the conference he has been doing it still. Not as often though.

So, I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this problem. Any ideas?
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Crap

Post by Schlussdibusti »

icvanstra wrote:Started a while back
When your friend was watching the dogs?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Do you own a crate? :roll: ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

It started before my friend watched Cino. But it wasn't very often. It has been much more frequent since I came back.

judith ... yes I have a crate! But then he would spend all of his time in it.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Yuck! Sorry to hear about this problem your having, not very fun. I don't have any advice for you, but hope you figure it out and can make it stop!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

did something happen to trigger the pooping in the house? Is he mad at you for something?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Back to collar and lead--and puppy type house training? I make my dogs stay where I am, from puppy hood on, I like them to stay close, where I can see them---even when older. (Gets a bit crowded when they insist on being in the bathroom with me--but I asked for it!) They don't wander around the house unless they are following me from room to room. Keeps them out of trouble. :player:
If he's pooping out of site, then I would say he already knows he shouldn't be doing it so is sneaking off to another room. Try making him stay close, or crated so he doesn't get the opportunity to poop unless he's outside. I wouldn't give him house freedom until he's earned it.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I would crate again until he gets back on a potty schedule. No free feeding or free water. JMHO.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

Progress--or are you still cleaning???
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

- No free roaming of the house at night.
- Back to crating 100% of the time when I'm not home
- and working on 100% of the time having to be right next to me

Thankfully he hasn't done it again since I posted the original message.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

:yeah:
Chris Carlton/Lyric
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

So you understood that the crate suggestion was for the nights. I swear, sometimes you seem to be about as smart as your dog.......... ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

vneerland wrote:So you understood that the crate suggestion was for the nights. I swear, sometimes you seem to be about as smart as your dog.......... ;)
Since my house is so tiny and my bedroom is even smaller... locking him in my bedroom with me is about like sleeping in a crate! :roll:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote:- No free roaming of the house at night.
- Back to crating 100% of the time when I'm not home
- and working on 100% of the time having to be right next to me

Thankfully he hasn't done it again since I posted the original message.
And don't forget the whole other part of putting yourself in the position to tell him when he does the RIGHT thing instead of just preventing the wrong.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown