To spay or not to spay?!?!

Skidgee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I have adopted two beautiful DS and we are hoping to train them in agility but most importantly for search and rescue. I have registered on this site to learn more about this fabulous breed of dog.

To spay or not to spay?!?!

Post by Skidgee »

We love our Shady Sadie :DSlove: and Boomer and they are 8 months old now. We believe Sadie is finally over the darn Giardia she had been plagued with since we adopted her. I have been told heath wise it would be better to have her spayed, but, I was wondering if it would change her personality. She is an adorable, loving, in your face Dutchie. Fabulous watch pupper and takes no nonsense from Boomer who is 13 pounds heavier than she (Boomer is now 66 pounds and she is 53 pounds). She is solid muscle from all the wrestling with her buddy Boomer. I've been told that if we chose to breed her to wait till she is 2 years old, however, how do we keep Boomer away from her???????????? I am of the mind to have her spayed and know they would have awesome pups but I don't want to put Boomer in a kennel for 3 weeks till she is finished with her season. How often do they go into heat? Any and all advise is welcome and thanks again for all your help in the recent past!

Marie :DSlove:
dutchk9
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: i am male from ontario canada.my dog is female duch shepherd, short coat.
we train in working service, as a hobby.
it keeps us both fit.
i got my dog when she was 8 weeks old.
her training is ongoing.

Re: To spay or not to spay?!?!

Post by dutchk9 »

Do not spay the dog. I believe it is butchering them. It will take away from their natural instincts.
However your choice.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: To spay or not to spay?!?!

Post by Raven »

This is an older post, not sure if the OP will even see it now.

Curious, though, why you think it's "butchering" if reproduction is not important and how spaying takes away their natural instincts. Instincts to do...what?

I respect that you have your opinion. We certainly all have them! :)

What are your thoughts on spaying reducing cancer?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~