allergy to bleach

Annika
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My wife and I have an 85+lb female super high drive Dutch Shepherd, she's my baby, oh and I love my wife.

allergy to bleach

Post by Annika »

I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem, our dog came home from her kennel after one of her stays with kennel cough, we treated her with meds per the vet. She made a few more visits to the kennel then once again came home with a little cough. The kennel is very clean and all borders have to have full vet checks. When I was there they were using a bleach solution to clean all the surfaces in the kennel per local requirements, this is daily also. The bleach was kind of heavy but could she have some kind of sensitivity to it. Thanks in advance, M
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: allergy to bleach

Post by Raven »

Not saying the solution is causing it, but certainly, bleach and/or chemicals (including perfumes and other common products used these days) can trigger reactions, especially if their immune system is off. Are you able to determine if the ONLY time this happens is after a trip to the kennel? Perhaps not if she's there frequently. A reaction could include coughing, but not limited to that. Prolonged exposure to a trigger could also result in producing other symptoms--a skin disorder, for instance.

It's hard for anyone to say if it is the solution, or anything else, really, unless there's process of elimination and/or tests.

So...could she have a sensitivity to it. Yes. Is that what is causing it? No one here could say that definitively. If you suspect that it is the cause above anything else (including a recurrence of kennel cough), I'd begin with the most simple approach: a chat with the vet first and keeping her out of the kennel to see if she becomes symptom-free. (Still, something besides the solution could cause it.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: allergy to bleach

Post by Dutchringgirl »

could be a possibility. I agree with Raven, talk to the vet and see what they say.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage