Is she likely to reach a standard size?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

Is she likely to reach a standard size?

Post by Tripmomma »

I know you guys don't have a crystal ball, just looking to see if anyone has had a pup start out on the small side that still reached normal size?

Kitsune is 12 1/2 weeks and only 18 1/2 lbs, she was 14 lbs at 10 weeks. The whole litter is on the small side, seem to have shorter legs and compact bodies. Their mom is not a huge girl (58lbs and dad is around 70), and the litter did have to be hand raised from day 1 when she had a hormonal issue and lost her milk...they always looked a week younger than they were, but I would think they would be all caught up now by 12 weeks.

Anyone have a small pup that ended up normal size?

Just to kinda show what I mean, this is Kitsune with my friends DS pup Lycan. They are from the same breeder but different litters. Lycan is only 3 weeks and a couple days older. His parents are bigger than my pups parents to be fair.

This is Kitsune's full litter brother...you can see he is pretty much her exact size so it is not just her being a female or being the runt thing...in fact Lycan's full litter sister was there too, and she was every bit as big as Lycan is.
~*~Katrina~*~
Kitsune de las Flores 10/14
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: Is she likely to reach a standard size?

Post by Mobil »

18 pounds at 12 weeks is a normal size for a Dutch.
My male was around 19 pounds at that age and at 10 months now, he's 70 pounds. I don't remember how big my female was at that age, but she's always been a little bit smaller, and she's now 50 pounds at 10 months.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

NWDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm in Washington state and have an almost 2 year dutchie, Enzo.

Post by NWDS »

Sounds like there are lots of dutchie in Oregon. I'm not sure on growth but both pups looks amazing. We may have to bring the dog the next we go to Joe's crab Shack
RB and Enzo
Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

Post by Tripmomma »

Thanks! She has hit a couple growth spurts. She will be 4 months on Friday and is now 26 1/2 lbs.
~*~Katrina~*~
stillfan45
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am a working dog fan. I have been training dogs for 20 years as a hobby. I cut my teeth on GSD's and they will always have a special place in my heart. However I graduated to Mals and Dutchies because their temperament and drive standards were better suited for me as a handler/trainer. I have worked in SAR, FEMA, Protection, and detection. I currently have a 3 year old female Dutch named Ziva.

Post by stillfan45 »

She will probably go 55-60lbs based on her current weight and pictures. IMHO
Tripmomma
Green Dog

Post by Tripmomma »

That sounds pretty good to me. She is almost 19 weeks now, and 31 lbs...finally growing some leg.
~*~Katrina~*~
stillfan45
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am a working dog fan. I have been training dogs for 20 years as a hobby. I cut my teeth on GSD's and they will always have a special place in my heart. However I graduated to Mals and Dutchies because their temperament and drive standards were better suited for me as a handler/trainer. I have worked in SAR, FEMA, Protection, and detection. I currently have a 3 year old female Dutch named Ziva.

Post by stillfan45 »

My male and female are 13 weeks and 27lbs. They will top out around 60-75ish. Mom is 55-57 and dad is 75lbs.
Tripmomma
Green Dog

Post by Tripmomma »

My pocket Dutchie turned 5 months last week, she just weighed in two days ago at 36 lbs.
~*~Katrina~*~
TheBlacks
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have owned dogs all my life. My husband and I decided that after our 14 year old pit bull passed away we wanted to get a Dutch shepherd. We liked that their temperment was between a Malinois and a German shepherd. We also have a bug (Boston and pug mix) that finds white truffles.

Post by TheBlacks »

Too cute! I have been calling Kratos de las Flores a pocket Dutchie as well! He seems to have grown a bit but it goes back and forth. Since we picked him up he has been on raw beef and puppy gold. I have been working on adjusting the amount he eats. But he is around 40-45 lbs now. His new love right now is finding big rocks that he thinks are chew toys and bringing them into the house! Working on stopping this behavior.
TheBlacks
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have owned dogs all my life. My husband and I decided that after our 14 year old pit bull passed away we wanted to get a Dutch shepherd. We liked that their temperment was between a Malinois and a German shepherd. We also have a bug (Boston and pug mix) that finds white truffles.

Post by TheBlacks »

Here are a couple updated pictures of Kratos.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 8.31.40 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 8.31.03 PM.jpg
mastrom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I rescued a 10-month old Dutchie from the streets of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic.

Post by mastrom »

What is the smallest female than anyone has ever met?
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

I saw a documentary on military dogs and the soldier had a Malinois female that was the smallest in the base at 50 lbs. My trainer has some champion males at under 70 lbs but they hit like a freight train. My boy is huge, at 10 months he was 87 lbs. I feel like his size is getting in the way of his ability so I would actually prefer a more compact dog. I wouldn't worry about your dogs size.
Dutchowner12345
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Ritchie owner with questions and comments.

Post by Dutchowner12345 »

Just got our Dutchie (Roxy) she appeared to be malnourished, had hook worms, and fur loss on her tail and ears. Took her to the vet and she’s coming right along lots of energy and great drive.
She was 10 weeks at 9.4lbs when we got her.
Now she’s 12 weeks at 13lbs. Her parents are supposedly 60/65lbs. Anyone had a girl this small any hope she will hit some growth spurts? She’s amazing nonetheless just curious.
Attachments
326DAC21-CA65-4D8E-88F9-BA44B8E09BE5.jpeg
326DAC21-CA65-4D8E-88F9-BA44B8E09BE5.jpeg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 7117 times
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

The range for females is 40 to 60 pounds. She will be near the midpoint. I have a female 42 pounds at 12 months old. Any pup with great drive as you say will be all you want at that size.
Tim