6 month old Dutch! Have questions!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
awesomemom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Well I am a mommy of 2 (4yrs & 4mon.) We have a beautiful Dutch Shepherd named Fergie(came with name) and recently found another puppy beautiful but not a dutch!

6 month old Dutch! Have questions!

Post by awesomemom »

I rescued a 6 month old dutchy i am curious tho is it normal for a dutch shepherd to have spotted tongues?
She is 6 months old and weighs around 36lbs.
Does anyone know how to tell the age of a puppy by their teeth i recently found another puppy and am curious how old she is(not a dutchy but still beautiful too)
awesomemom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Well I am a mommy of 2 (4yrs & 4mon.) We have a beautiful Dutch Shepherd named Fergie(came with name) and recently found another puppy beautiful but not a dutch!

Re: 6 month old Dutch! Have questions!

Post by awesomemom »

If anyone can answer even one of these questions it would be AWESOME! Thanks!
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The only breed that I know of with colors on the tongue is Chow. Maybe its just a pigment issue?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The only breed that I know of with colors on the tongue is Chow. Maybe its just a pigment issue?
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

There are several breeds with solid "black" tounges, but I've seen black "spots" on the tounge in almost any breed you could think of. I usually think of it as just an nice pigment also.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

sorry about the double posting, I have no idea why it did that.
ImageImage
awesomemom
Just Whelped

Post by awesomemom »

@dutchringgirl: thats fine no big deal.

Do any of you know by chance how to tell my a puppies teeth how old they are?
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Hi there Awesome Mom,

Please take a moment and introduce yourself in the New Members Sections and also visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. Its easier for us all to tell each other a part.

Most breeds have the occasional puppy end up with a blue spot or two on the tongue. But having a lot is an indication of another breed's influence. Pictures would help us advise you better.

Judging based on teeth still only gives you an approximation, as all puppies are different. Usually they start loosing their incisors around 4 1/2 months. The rest fall out from there, finishing teething about 7 months....but again they are all different. Some start later, some go faster. A dog with a full set of adult teeth would be guessed at atleast 7 months old.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
awesomemom
Just Whelped

Post by awesomemom »

ok here are some pictures...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81311386@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81311386@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81311386@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81311386@N07/7488341754/

let me know what u think... my husband thinks maybe chow in her but idk i dont see it she looks identical to dutch plus he just says that because of her tongue
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Vada has black on the back of her tongue on the side (I was just noticing it the other day since her tongue was hanging out so far with this heat). But not as much as your puppy. That's a lot of black. :) Cute pup!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
sidnerella
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a 21 year old blogger, I recently adopted a dutch shepherd and am curious to learn all I can about my little man!

Post by sidnerella »

I recently adopted a dog from my local shelter. He looks almost identical to a dutch shepherd however he also has a spotted tongue. The spots are purple so they listed him as a chow. He is mostly dutch shepherd though. :) Hope that helps you out!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome Sidnerela.

Thanks for joining. Please take a moment to introduce yourself in our New Member Announcement thread.

We'd also love to see a picture of your boy.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Boaz1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a dog groomer with my own shop. In July I got my first Dutch Shepherd and am very impressed with him.

Post by Boaz1 »

My Dutch Shepherd has two black spots at the back of his tongue and another on the underside. I have a feeding question. Pretty sure he has a chicken allergy and maybe beef so am keeping him off these. Is on holistic select grain free with fish as protein. Would like to give him some variety so welcome suggestions. Must be grain free. Also is 24% enough protein? He is ten months old.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The original thread was from 2012. you may start a new post if you would like.
ImageImage